List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Steve Folly Date:January 13 2004 11:00pm
Subject:Re: hierarchical records, I need some help!! ;(
View as plain text
On 13 Jan 2004, at 19:11, Jochem van Dieten wrote:

> I most certainly hope this Oracle idiosyncracy will never make it into
> MySQL.
>
> The SQL standard defines a different syntax for doing recursive
> queries, using WITH RECURSIVE. I see no reason for MySQL to implement
> a non-standard way for doing recursive queries when there is a viable
> alternative (DB2 already uses WITH conform the SQL standard) that has
> standardized behaviour.
> I know that a CONNECT BY PRIOR patch is readily available for
> PostgreSQL but the PostgreSQL developers reject it exactly because it
> does not follow the SQL standard. I think the PostgreSQL developers
> are right to do so, non-standard features have caused enough trouble
> for application portability as it is.
>
> Jochem

Point taken. I never knew about the WITH RECURSIVE syntax.

Certainly, if CONNECT BY PRIOR is an Oracle only extension, then WITH
RECURSIVE does sound like the better option of the two.

Steve.

Thread
hierarchical records, I need some help!! ;(Victor Reus12 Jan
  • Re: hierarchical records, I need some help!! ;(Martijn Tonies12 Jan
    • Re: hierarchical records, I need some help!! ;(Victor Reus13 Jan
      • Re: hierarchical records, I need some help!! ;(Steve Folly13 Jan
        • Re: hierarchical records, I need some help!! ;(Jochem van Dieten13 Jan
          • Re: hierarchical records, I need some help!! ;(Steve Folly14 Jan
        • RE: hierarchical records, I need some help!! ;(Matt Griffin13 Jan
  • Re: hierarchical records, I need some help!! ;(Mike13 Jan