List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Hassan Shaikh Date:January 11 2004 1:04pm
Subject:Which one is better: CHAR or VARCHAR?
View as plain text
Hi,

I've a column of type VARCHAR(10) where I know the data would be 10-char in length -
always. Apart from the fact that VARCHAR saves space as compared to CHAR, is there any
performance benefit? If yes, is it significant enough?

Thanks.

Hassan
Thread
Which one is better: CHAR or VARCHAR?Hassan Shaikh12 Jan
  • Re: Which one is better: CHAR or VARCHAR?robert_rowe12 Jan
  • Re: Which one is better: CHAR or VARCHAR?Nitin Mehta12 Jan
  • Re: Which one is better: CHAR or VARCHAR?Matt W12 Jan