List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Martijn Tonies Date:January 10 2004 6:20pm
Subject:Re: Automatic conversion from `char` TO `varchar`
View as plain text
Hi,

> The manual <http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/Open_bugs.html> says
>
> > The following problems are known and will be fixed in due time:
> > [...]
> > All string columns, except BLOB and TEXT columns, automatically have
> > all trailing spaces removed when retrieved. For CHAR types this is okay,
> > and may be regarded as a feature according to SQL-92. The bug is that in
> > MySQL Server, VARCHAR columns are treated the same way.
>
> That seems the reverse of what you are saying.

Indeed. Nevertheless, I'm right at this one :-)

Chars should be padded.

With regards,

Martijn Tonies
Server.
Upscene Productions
http://www.upscene.com

Thread
Automatic conversion from `char` TO `varchar`Hassan Shaikh10 Jan
  • Re: Automatic conversion from `char` TO `varchar`Luciano Barcaro10 Jan
  • Re: Automatic conversion from `char` TO `varchar`Fred van Engen10 Jan
  • Re: Automatic conversion from `char` TO `varchar`Martijn Tonies10 Jan
    • Re: Automatic conversion from `char` TO `varchar`Michael Stassen10 Jan
  • Re: Automatic conversion from `char` TO `varchar`Martijn Tonies10 Jan
    • Re: Automatic conversion from `char` TO `varchar`Michael Stassen12 Jan
  • Re: Automatic conversion from `char` TO `varchar`Martijn Tonies12 Jan
    • Re: Automatic conversion from `char` TO `varchar`Michael Stassen12 Jan
  • Re: Automatic conversion from `char` TO `varchar`Matt W12 Jan
  • Re: Automatic conversion from `char` TO `varchar`Martijn Tonies12 Jan
  • Re: Automatic conversion from `char` TO `varchar`Bernard Kenik12 Jan