List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Jim Faucette Date:October 11 1999 1:35pm
Subject:Re: Efficiency of connecting and disconnecting...
View as plain text
Gordon Bissell wrote:

> mySQL version: 3.22
> Platform     : RedHat Linux 6
>
> I'm working on a C program that currently connects to a mySQL database,
> performs a simple query, and exits. This program will be called in response
> to user action from a web page (i.e it's likely it will be called often, and
> by many different users).
>
> I was wondering if a more efficient solution might be to have a C based
> program always running (and always connected to the mysql database). It
> could then accept requests from the web browser.
>
> Would this be worth my time (in other words is continually connecting and
> disconnecting from a mySQL database inefficient or doesn't it really
> matter?)

The developers have put alot of work into making connects as efficient
as possible, but given the choice on a high hit site - it's better for
your client program to be resident and use persistant connections.

  jim...
Thread
Efficiency of connecting and disconnecting...Gordon Bissell11 Oct
  • Re: Efficiency of connecting and disconnecting...Jim Faucette11 Oct
  • Re: Efficiency of connecting and disconnecting...sinisa11 Oct
  • Re: Efficiency of connecting and disconnecting...Chris Trown11 Oct
  • Re: Efficiency of connecting and disconnecting...Tonu Samuel11 Oct
    • Re: Efficiency of connecting and disconnecting...felix k sheng12 Oct