List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Martijn Tonies Date:January 6 2004 8:04pm
Subject:Re: Bet the Business
View as plain text
All IMHO of course...

> > Will I use them in MySQL 5.0? Probably, but only when justified.
> > </soapbox>
> >

> So what are the justifications? What makes a wise stored procedure and an
> unwise stored procedure?

I've used them a lot with Oracle. The n-tier days weren't really alive
when I was doing that project.

We had several reasons to use Stored Procedures:

1) the same set of complicated processing to be called
  by multiple applications and updating that particular piece
  of code without having to update the (client) apps

2) dragging a lot of data across the network was slow.
  With a stored procedure, the processing was A LOT
  faster.

3) without a middle tier: having to use a particular piece
  of code in different programming languages

4) Oracle Jobs require a single statement or procedure
  to run.

With regards,

Martijn Tonies
Server.
Upscene Productions
http://www.upscene.com

Thread
Bet the BusinessIan O'Rourke6 Jan
  • Re: Bet the BusinessDaniel Kasak6 Jan
  • Re: Bet the BusinessJochem van Dieten6 Jan
  • Re: Bet the Businessrobert_rowe6 Jan
    • Re: Bet the Businessian.orourke6 Jan
      • Re: Bet the BusinessMatt Davies6 Jan
  • Re: Bet the BusinessMichael Bacarella6 Jan
  • Re: Bet the Businessrobert_rowe6 Jan
    • Re: Bet the BusinessIan O'Rourke6 Jan
    • Re: Bet the BusinessMartijn Tonies6 Jan
  • ..mysql question bank.. Needed..Amanullah7 Jan
  • Re: Bet the BusinessMike7 Jan
    • Re: Bet the Businessian.orourke7 Jan
  • Re: Bet the Businessrobert_rowe7 Jan
  • Re: Bet the Businessrobert_rowe7 Jan