List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Dan Greene Date:January 6 2004 3:16pm
Subject:RE: Bet the Business
View as plain text
I've found, in my many years of app dev work with Oracle, MSSQL, and now a little MySQL,
that stored procedures are a very mixed blessing.

Depending on your application architecture, they be just what you want, a means of
encapsulating a complicated, data-centric function.  Database stored procedures are
notiriously difficult to manage in terms of version management, mostly due to the advance
of excellent GUIs for editing stored procedures directly in the DB (TOAD).  The other
major drawback is that unless your entire application in based in the database (e.g.
Oracle's web toolkit) then it adds another language to your application, as well as
another location for code.  This obviously increases maintainance time/cost, which is
acceptable sometimes, but not others.

I am definately _for_ stored procedures. Especially in MySQL -- between SP and subqueries,
most of the limiting features of MySQL are going away, and Oracle and MSSQL folks will
have less and less ground from which to point fingers.  Just remember that they are not a
magic bullet, and try not to mix too much of your application and/or business logic
directly in them.

[stepping down from soap box]

Bet the BusinessIan O'Rourke6 Jan
  • Re: Bet the BusinessDaniel Kasak6 Jan
  • Re: Bet the BusinessJochem van Dieten6 Jan
  • Re: Bet the Businessrobert_rowe6 Jan
    • Re: Bet the Businessian.orourke6 Jan
      • Re: Bet the BusinessMatt Davies6 Jan
  • Re: Bet the BusinessMichael Bacarella6 Jan
  • Re: Bet the Businessrobert_rowe6 Jan
    • Re: Bet the BusinessIan O'Rourke6 Jan
    • Re: Bet the BusinessMartijn Tonies6 Jan
  • ..mysql question bank.. Needed..Amanullah7 Jan
  • Re: Bet the BusinessMike7 Jan
    • Re: Bet the Businessian.orourke7 Jan
  • Re: Bet the Businessrobert_rowe7 Jan
  • Re: Bet the Businessrobert_rowe7 Jan