List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Richard Dyce Date:January 5 2004 7:23pm
Subject:Re: Re[2]: Enum default values
View as plain text
Ah ha!

Thank you Aleksandar. That's a much better solution. In fact, now
youv'e told me this, I looked in the Manual, and the scales where
lifted from my eyes. You've saved me re-writing (and re-thinking) a
large chunk of PHP.

For anyone else's future reference it's all there in plain english -
which confirms me as an idiot.

"6.4.3 INSERT Syntax

     INSERT [LOW_PRIORITY | DELAYED] [IGNORE]
         [INTO] tbl_name [(col_name,...)]
         VALUES ((expression | DEFAULT),...),(...),...
         [ ON DUPLICATE KEY UPDATE col_name=expression, ... ]
or  INSERT [LOW_PRIORITY | DELAYED] [IGNORE]
         [INTO] tbl_name [(col_name,...)]
         SELECT ...
or  INSERT [LOW_PRIORITY | DELAYED] [IGNORE]
         [INTO] tbl_name
         SET col_name=(expression | DEFAULT), ...
         [ ON DUPLICATE KEY UPDATE col_name=expression, ... ]"

and in the not so small print ;-)

""Any column not explicitly given a value is set to its default value.
For example, if you specify a column list that doesn't name all the
columns in the table, unnamed columns are set to their default values.
Default value assignment is described in section 6.5.3 CREATE TABLE
Syntax. You can also use the keywordDEFAULT to set a column to its
default value. (New in MySQL 4.0.3.) This makes it easier to write
INSERTstatements that assign values to all but a few columns, because
it allows you to avoid writing an incompleteVALUES() list (a list that
does not include a value for each column in the table). Otherwise, you
would have to write out the list of column names corresponding to each
value in the VALUES() list"

Which is of course what I was trying to get at! ;-)

Thanks again.

On 5 Jan 2004, at 17:37, Aleksandar Bradaric wrote:

> insert into `property` values ('', 'Riverside View', default);

Thread
Enum default valuesRichard Dyce5 Jan
RE: Enum default valuesJay Blanchard5 Jan
  • Re: Enum default valuesRichard Dyce5 Jan
    • Re[2]: Enum default valuesAleksandar Bradaric5 Jan
      • Re: Re[2]: Enum default valuesRichard Dyce5 Jan
  • Re: Enum default valuesMartijn Tonies5 Jan
RE: Enum default valuesJay Blanchard5 Jan
  • Re: Enum default valuesMartijn Tonies5 Jan
RE: Enum default valuesJay Blanchard5 Jan
  • Re: Enum default valuesMartijn Tonies5 Jan
    • Re: Enum default valuesMichael Stassen5 Jan
  • Re: Enum default valuesMartijn Tonies5 Jan