List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Martijn Tonies Date:January 5 2004 2:04pm
Subject:Re: Enum default values
View as plain text
Hi,

> [snip]
> > If you insert an invalid value into an ENUM (that is, a string not
> > present in the list of allowed values), the empty string is inserted
> > instead as a special error value. This string can be distinguished
> from
> > a 'normal' empty string by the fact that this string has the numerical
> > value 0. More about this later.
>
> "changeday" is NOT NULL -> but you still can enter
> '' ... Strange and, IMO, a bug. What's the use of
> restricting to a set of possible values without enforcing it?
> [/snip]
>
> On an INSERT it allows you to get or track entry errors. You have to
> apply error checking to your application to enforce the integrity of the
> enum field.

So, basically, an ENUM has no real use when it comes to
checking its values?

>This has been one of those excessively debated issues over
> the years.

I sure hope so :-) ... I'm still new to MySQL though :-)

>I have used this 'feature' for error checking for a long time

With regards,

Martijn Tonies
Server.
Upscene Productions
http://www.upscene.com

> now.

Thread
Enum default valuesRichard Dyce5 Jan
RE: Enum default valuesJay Blanchard5 Jan
  • Re: Enum default valuesRichard Dyce5 Jan
    • Re[2]: Enum default valuesAleksandar Bradaric5 Jan
      • Re: Re[2]: Enum default valuesRichard Dyce5 Jan
  • Re: Enum default valuesMartijn Tonies5 Jan
RE: Enum default valuesJay Blanchard5 Jan
  • Re: Enum default valuesMartijn Tonies5 Jan
RE: Enum default valuesJay Blanchard5 Jan
  • Re: Enum default valuesMartijn Tonies5 Jan
    • Re: Enum default valuesMichael Stassen5 Jan
  • Re: Enum default valuesMartijn Tonies5 Jan