List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Plinio Conti Date:December 24 2003 4:55pm
Subject:Re: Quering user privileges
View as plain text
On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 18:20:53 -0600
Paul DuBois <paul@stripped> wrote:

> >I confirm:
> >SHOW GRANTS FOR CURRENT_USER();
> >does not work,
> >while that query is exaclty what you expect to do reading mysql manual.
>
> I agree, one might easily come to that conclusion based on the wording.
>
> The manual was imprecise/wrong.  I've changed it to point out that
> you must first select the value of CURRENT_USER(), then use the value
> it returns in the SHOW GRANTS statement.

good idea,
thank you.

> >On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 12:47:11 +0200
> >Egor Egorov <egor.egorov@stripped> wrote:
> >
> >>  Plinio Conti <plinioNOcontiSPAM@stripped> wrote:
> >>  >
> >  > > The manual page at http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/SHOW_GRANTS.html
> >>  > says:
> >>  >
> >>  > "To list grants for the current session one may use
> >>CURRENT_USER() function"
> >>  >
> >>  > But if I run
> >>  > "SELECT SHOW GRANTS FOR CURRENT_USER();
> >>  >
> >>  > I get syntax error (Error 1064).
> >>  >
> >>  > While if I run directly
> >>  > "SELECT SHOW GRANTS FOR foouser@hostname;"
> >>  >
> >>  > It works. Did you guess why?
> >>
> >>  Look at the example of usage SHOW GRANTS in the manual:
> >>
> >>	mysql> SHOW GRANTS FOR root@localhost;
> >>
> >>  There is no SELECT word in the query.
> >>
> >>  >
> >>  > On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 15:37:43 +0200
> >>  > Egor Egorov <egor.egorov@stripped> wrote:
> >>  >
> >>  >> Plinio Conti <plinioconti@stripped> wrote:
> >>  >> >
> >>  >> > Is there a way to query the privileges of current user if he
>
> >>hasn't the rights to read the mysql system tables (user, db, hosts,
> >>etc..)
> >>  >> >
> >>  >> > I mean, I CAN'T give a standard user the chance of read
> >>"system tables"!
> >>  >> > But my client app wants to know if the current user has (for
>
> >>example) the rights to write on table xxx, because if not, I don't
> >>want to let him try and fail, I want to disable the updates in
> >>advance.
> >>  >> >
> >>  >>
> >>  >> Take a look at SHOW GRANTS command:
> >  > >>       http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/SHOW_GRANTS.html
>

> --
> Paul DuBois, Senior Technical Writer
> Madison, Wisconsin, USA
> MySQL AB, www.mysql.com
>
> Are you MySQL certified?  http://www.mysql.com/certification/

Quering user privilegesPlinio Conti21 Dec
  • Re: Quering user privilegesjamie murray21 Dec
    • Re: Quering user privilegesPlinio Conti23 Dec
  • Re: Quering user privilegesEgor Egorov22 Dec
    • Re: Quering user privilegesPlinio Conti22 Dec
    • Re: Quering user privilegesPlinio Conti22 Dec
      • Re: Quering user privilegesEgor Egorov23 Dec
        • Re: Quering user privilegesPlinio Conti23 Dec
          • Re: Quering user privilegesEgor Egorov23 Dec
          • Re: Quering user privilegesPaul DuBois24 Dec
            • Re: Quering user privilegesMichael Stassen24 Dec
            • Re: Quering user privilegesPlinio Conti24 Dec
        • Re: Quering user privilegesPlinio Conti23 Dec
      • Re: Quering user privilegesjamie murray23 Dec
        • Re: Quering user privilegesPlinio Conti24 Dec
          • Re: Quering user privilegesMichael Stassen24 Dec
            • Re: Quering user privilegesPlinio Conti27 Dec
              • Re: Quering user privilegesJim Richardson27 Dec