List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Martin Ramsch Date:October 10 1999 1:53pm
Subject:Re: First Time user ..
View as plain text
On Sat, 1999-10-09 23:08:31 -0500, Wayne Walters wrote:
> I have create a Java Servlet on Win98.  My web host has put me on
> Unix w/ MySQL. What do I use as a JDBC driver? Can I use the same
> driver for MySQL(shareware version) and the version on my Web Host?

Yes, because the JDBC drivers only depend on the MySQL protocol which
is used to talk to a MySQL server, not on the actual MySQL server
version.  And this MySQL protocol should be compatible ...

> I see drivers listed at mysql.com, but I don't know the difference
> in a "mm" driver and a "twz" driver.

No technical difference in principle, these are just JDBC drivers from
different authors, choose any of them.
Mark Matthews seems to be more actively working on his driver, so I'd
recommend the mm driver, but the driver by Terrence W. Zellers works
very fine, too!

> Also what are .tar and .gz?  I think that they are compressions but
> how can I de-compress on Win98?

As far as I know, for example WinZip should be able to handle this
formats.

>     Also I can't find the Win32 discussion group. What is the format
> of the subscribe?

See <URL: http://www.mysql.com/doc.html >.

To subscribe to the MySQL-Win32 discussion, write an email to
  win32-subscribe@stripped

If you're interested in MySQL and Java discussion, write to
  java-subscribe@stripped

Regards,
  Martin
PGP KeyID=0xE8EF4F75 FiPr=5244 5EF3 B0B1 3826  E4EC 8058 7B31 3AD7
Thread
First Time user ..Wayne Walters10 Oct
  • Re: First Time user ..Martin Ramsch10 Oct