List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Markus Fischer Date:December 18 2003 6:16pm
Subject:Re: Performance problems using 1GB Linux server and trying to avoid swapping
View as plain text
On Thu, Dec 18, 2003 at 10:37:46AM -0600, Dan Nelson wrote :
> In the last episode (Dec 18), Markus Fischer said:
> > On Tue, Dec 16, 2003 at 10:38:14AM -0600, Dan Nelson wrote :
> > > Raising sort_buffer_size and join_buffer_size may also help if your
> > > queries pull a lot of records.
> >
> >     From what I read from the manual, sort_buffer_size is only used
> >     for the isamchk tools, isn't it? I've adapted join_buffer_size
> >     though; thanks.
>
> It's used for any sorting:
>
>    * `sort_buffer_size' Each thread that needs to do a sort allocates a
>      buffer of this size. Increase this value for faster `ORDER BY' or
>      `GROUP BY' operations.  *Note Temporary files::.

    Of course, sorry, I got confused then.

    thanks,

        - Markus
Thread
Performance problems using 1GB Linux server and trying to avoid swappingMarkus Fischer16 Dec
  • Re: Performance problems using 1GB Linux server and trying to avoidswappingChris Nolan16 Dec
    • Re: Performance problems using 1GB Linux server and trying to avoid swappingMarkus Fischer18 Dec
  • Re: Performance problems using 1GB Linux server and trying to avoid swappingDan Nelson16 Dec
    • Re: Performance problems using 1GB Linux server and trying to avoid swappingMarkus Fischer18 Dec
      • Re: Performance problems using 1GB Linux server and trying to avoid swappingDan Nelson18 Dec
        • Re: Performance problems using 1GB Linux server and trying to avoid swappingMarkus Fischer18 Dec