List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Matt W Date:December 18 2003 1:15am
Subject:Re: high water mark
View as plain text
Hi Jamie,

Yes, when tables are made "smaller" in MySQL, the file size isn't
actually reduced. I guess it shouldn't usually make a speed difference
unless your SELECTs are doing a table scan. Reads that use an index
shouldn't really be affected, I don't think.

If you want to reclaim the deleted space, you can do so by running
OPTIMIZE TABLE.  Be aware that it may take awhile to run on a large
table!

Hope that helps.

Matt