List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Sergei Golubchik Date:December 18 2003 12:15am
Subject:Re: MySQL 4.0.17 has been released
View as plain text
Hi!

Well, I checked the code and looks like in 4.0.17 lower_case_table_names
is NOT forced to 1 on case-insensitive file system, despite the
changelog entry (that we will fix, by the way). Obviously a programming
mistake, but for now only warning that lower_case_table_names is forced to 1
is issued, no actual assignement takes place.

I think, as there are users that need lower_case_table_names=0 on
Windows, we could set the *default* value based on filesystem
case-sensitivity, but with the possibility to change it from the command
line, and issue a BIG RED WARNING if you'll do.

So don't do it unless you know what you are doing.
To quote Monty:

====
  The 'bug' here is that if you set lower_case_table_names to OFF on a
  system where you have case insensitive file names (like windows) you
  WILL get table corruption if you access tables with different cases.

  This is becasue MySQL doesn't know that the tables 'name' and 'NAME'
  are in fact the same table and will cache and lock each of these
  separately.
====

On Dec 17, Reverend Deuce wrote:
> I agree, 100%. We live in a mixed environment of UNIX and Windows and as
> such, we've assumed case insensitivity in our apps. I know that this is bad
> practice, but forcing this flag on us is and even worse practice. This
> should always, always be an option.
>
> I wont be able to upgrade until this is fixed. :(
>
> -- R

Regards,
Sergei

--
 / /|_/ / // /\ \/ /_/ / /__  MySQL AB, Senior Software Developer