List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:mos Date:December 16 2003 9:52pm
Subject:Re: MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?
View as plain text
At 01:59 PM 12/14/2003, you wrote:
>Hello.
>
>I have been tasked with evaluating open source databases for a large
>upcoming project:  e-commerce, B2B, high availability.
>
>The O/S is most likely to be Linux, although FreeBSD could possibly be used
>(lower probability).
>
>So far, it seems that MySQL, MaxDB, PostgreSQL, and Interbase/Firebird are
>possible candidates.
>
>Does anyone know why we should or should not use any of these?  Does anyone
>know of other possibilities?
>
>I'd very much appreciate hearing your comments and recommendations.
>
>I have only recently started these evaluations.  BTW, my own background is
>from the Oracle DBA world.
>
>MySQL is certainly popular and seems to have very good performance, but I am
>concerned that the lack of Triggers, Stored Procedures, User-Defined
>Functions, and Views (to a lesser degree ) will be a disadvantage.
>
>MaxDB "appears" to be more feature-rich and possibly more
>industrial-strength.  How does its performance and stability compare to the
>others?
>
>Many Thanks.
>Jerry Apfelbaum
>Toronto

Jerry,
         Interbase/Firebird looks good on paper. But there are a couple of
things to watch out for.

1) Check the Borland Interbase newsgroups for "corruption" to see if it is
still an issue. I know from reading their newsgroups a few years back ,
there were quite a few postings. It could of been due to inadequate
hardware or some external source like a misconfigured server or power
failure. There are many sites that use IB without such problems but it is
worth checking it out (especially how to successfully repair a damaged
IB/FB database because all the tables are stored in one file).

2) Speed problems. I don't know how much data your tables will have, but
IB/FB has a habit of slowing down as more rows are added/deleted. They have
an automated Sweep process that cleans out the updated/deleted rows
(deleted & updated rows still take up space until the database is swept).
Even so a large db will still slow down. I suspect the problem is due to
unbalanced indexes. The only way to fix it is to unload all your data and
reload it back in. Some people do it once a week.

3) The server CPU load will increase rapidly after the first 5 or 6 users.
In other words IB/FB requires a much faster CPU than the same number of
users for MySQL. It is a very CPU intensive DB server. There was an earlier
problem with IB Super Server not running well on multiple processors (it
actually slowed things down). I believe this has been fixed in IB version
6.5. I don't know if this was fixed in FB because FB may be running IB
Classic (single processor) version.

Mike

Thread
MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?Jerry Apfelbaum14 Dec
  • Re: MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?Sven Köhler15 Dec
    • Re: MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?Chris Nolan15 Dec
      • Re: MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?Sven Köhler15 Dec
        • Re: MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?Chris Nolan15 Dec
          • Re: MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?Tobias Asplund15 Dec
            • Re: MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?Chris Nolan15 Dec
      • Re: MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?Jeremy Zawodny16 Dec
    • Re: MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?David Garamond16 Dec
      • Re: MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?Jeremy Zawodny16 Dec
        • Re: MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?Chris Nolan16 Dec
  • Re: MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?Martijn Tonies15 Dec
    • Re: MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?Sven Köhler15 Dec
      • Re: MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?Chris Nolan15 Dec
  • Re: MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?Martijn Tonies15 Dec
  • Re: MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?Juergen Sauer15 Dec
  • Re: MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?Martijn Tonies15 Dec
    • Re: MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?Chris Nolan15 Dec
  • Re: MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?Martijn Tonies15 Dec
  • Re: MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?Matthew Stanfield15 Dec
    • Re: MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?Curtis Maurand15 Dec
      • Re: MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?Chris Nolan16 Dec
        • Re: MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?Matthew Stanfield16 Dec
          • Re: MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?Chris Nolan16 Dec
    • Re: MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?Chris Nolan16 Dec
      • Re: MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?Matthew Stanfield16 Dec
  • Re: MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?Vinod Kumar Singh16 Dec
  • Re: MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?Martijn Tonies16 Dec
  • Re: MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?Dr. Frank Ullrich16 Dec
    • Re: MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?Chris Nolan16 Dec
  • Re: MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?David Griffiths16 Dec
    • Re: MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?Chris Nolan16 Dec
  • Re: MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?David Griffiths16 Dec
    • Re: MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?Chris Nolan17 Dec
  • Re: MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?mos16 Dec
  • Re: MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?Martijn Tonies16 Dec
  • Re: MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?Matthew Stanfield17 Dec
    • Re: MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?Ed Leafe17 Dec
  • Re: MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?Director General: NEFACOMP7 Jan
  • Re: MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?Martijn Tonies7 Jan
RE: MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?Joshua Thomas15 Dec
Re: MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?mos17 Dec
  • Re: MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?Martijn Tonies17 Dec
Re: MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?mos18 Dec
  • Re: MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?Martijn Tonies18 Dec