List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Dan Nelson Date:December 16 2003 4:38pm
Subject:Re: Performance problems using 1GB Linux server and trying to avoid swapping
View as plain text
In the last episode (Dec 16), Markus Fischer said:
> I'm investigating a performance problem with mysql server set up. The
> server is running linux with 1GB ram. I'ld like to tune the
> configuration of the server to use as much RAM as possible without
> swapping to the disc because of the big slow down.
>
> [mysqld]
> set-variable    = key_buffer=16M

Way too low; this says "only cache 16MB of index data".  Try 256MB.

> set-variable    = max_allowed_packet=200M

Probably way too high, but doesn't hurt since it won't actually
allocate that much memory unless you have a 200MB field someplace.

>     I'm also not sure whether the database is swapping temporary tables
>     to the disc or not; is there a way to verify if this is happening?

show status like 'created_tmp%';

Raising sort_buffer_size and join_buffer_size may also help if your
queries pull a lot of records.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@stripped