List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Chris Nolan Date:December 16 2003 11:23am
Subject:Re: Performance problems using 1GB Linux server and trying to avoid
swapping
View as plain text
Hi!

How heavy is your usage of TEMPORARY TABLES? I don't use them much
myself, but
I'm sure that the others on the list will have something to say in that
regard.

To get a better look at MySQL's usage of memory, you could try looking
at the output of
SHOW STATUS .

Regards,

Chris

Markus Fischer wrote:

>    Hello,
>
>    I'm investigating a performance problem with mysql server set up.
>    The server is running linux with 1GB ram. I'ld like to tune the
>    configuration of the server to use as much RAM as possible without
>    swapping to the disc because of the big slow down.
>
>    The current configuration is as follows (I've just pasted the
>    relevant pieces):
>
>[mysqld]
>skip-innodb
>skip-locking
>set-variable    = key_buffer=16M
>set-variable    = max_allowed_packet=200M
>set-variable    = thread_stack=128K
>bind-address    = 127.0.0.1
>port        = 3306
>skip-networking
>set-variable = query_cache_type=1
>set-variable = query_cache_size=64M
>set-variable = tmp_table_size=50M
>

>    The main purpose of the database is a heavily modified forum
>    application based on vBulletin.
>
>    One of the biggest table is the 'post' table with consumes about
>    617M currently; this table is often used in queries for index pages
>    which are the most frequent visited pages; indexes for the relevant
>    column in the WHERE statement are all created. The next tables in
>    size are using 22M and most of them much less.
>

>    I'm also having problems in determining accurately how much memory
>    MySQL uses when running on the system; the information provided by
>    ps doesn't seem relieable due the many processes/threads. Getting
>    the currently used memory and whether MySQL needed to swap would be
>    very valueable in chasing down this issue.
>
>    I'm also not sure whether the database is swapping temporary tables
>    to the disc or not; is there a way to verify if this is happening?
>
>    Other beneficial things would be to know how much memory certain
>    queries need (mostly the queries on index pages).
>

>    Besides more physical memory, are the other ways to better tune the
>    server for the 1GB ram? What performance analyses tool are
>    recommended for use with MySQL?
>
>    thanks for any advice,
>
>    - Markus

Thread
Performance problems using 1GB Linux server and trying to avoid swappingMarkus Fischer16 Dec
  • Re: Performance problems using 1GB Linux server and trying to avoidswappingChris Nolan16 Dec
    • Re: Performance problems using 1GB Linux server and trying to avoid swappingMarkus Fischer18 Dec
  • Re: Performance problems using 1GB Linux server and trying to avoid swappingDan Nelson16 Dec
    • Re: Performance problems using 1GB Linux server and trying to avoid swappingMarkus Fischer18 Dec
      • Re: Performance problems using 1GB Linux server and trying to avoid swappingDan Nelson18 Dec
        • Re: Performance problems using 1GB Linux server and trying to avoid swappingMarkus Fischer18 Dec