List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Chris Nolan Date:December 15 2003 11:55pm
Subject:Re: MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?
View as plain text
Curtis Maurand wrote:

>Matthew Stanfield said:
>

>>Hi,
>>

>Usually, i'll use "enum('0','1')" in place of a boolean type.
>
>Curtis
>
>[snip]

For JDBC stuff, I've found that if you really want to call this a
shortcoming, then that's about as far as you can take it
- the MySQL JDBC driver makes the BIT field act just like a single-bit
field.

Regards,

Chris

>>well.  The only annoying thing I can think of, from a programming
>>perspective, is  MySQL's lack of a Boolean type - the manual says use
>>TINYINT(1) which works  fine but is slightly annoying because of the
>>extra type conversion needed  every time you use it. Apparently MySQL
>>will be implementing the Boolean  type soon in accordance with whatever
>>SQL standard requires it. Quite why  it still has not been implemented,
>>even though MySQL is into version 4, I  have no idea - as a programmer I
>>find this a staggering omission but  presumably they have their reasons
>>and perhaps most people are happy with  TINYINT(1), but for clarity of
>>code TINYINT(1) is inferior to a Boolean type.
>>
>>I hope this helps,
>>
>>..matthew
>>

>>Jerry Apfelbaum wrote:
>>

>>>Hello.
>>>
>>>I have been tasked with evaluating open source databases for a large
>>>upcoming project:  e-commerce, B2B, high availability.
>>>
>>>The O/S is most likely to be Linux, although FreeBSD could possibly be
>>>used (lower probability).
>>>
>>>So far, it seems that MySQL, MaxDB, PostgreSQL, and Interbase/Firebird
>>>are possible candidates.
>>>
>>>Does anyone know why we should or should not use any of these?  Does
>>>anyone know of other possibilities?
>>>
>>>I’d very much appreciate hearing your comments and recommendations.
>>>
>>>I have only recently started these evaluations.  BTW, my own
>>>background is from the Oracle DBA world.
>>>
>>>MySQL is certainly popular and seems to have very good performance,
>>>but I am concerned that the lack of Triggers, Stored Procedures,
>>>User-Defined Functions, and Views (to a lesser degree ) will be a
>>>disadvantage.
>>>
>>>MaxDB "appears" to be more feature-rich and possibly more
>>>industrial-strength.  How does its performance and stability compare
>>>to the others?
>>>
>>>Many Thanks.
>>>Jerry Apfelbaum
>>>Toronto
>>>

>>--

MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?Jerry Apfelbaum14 Dec
  • Re: MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?Sven Köhler15 Dec
    • Re: MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?Chris Nolan15 Dec
      • Re: MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?Sven Köhler15 Dec
        • Re: MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?Chris Nolan15 Dec
          • Re: MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?Tobias Asplund15 Dec
            • Re: MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?Chris Nolan15 Dec
      • Re: MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?Jeremy Zawodny16 Dec
    • Re: MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?David Garamond16 Dec
      • Re: MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?Jeremy Zawodny16 Dec
        • Re: MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?Chris Nolan16 Dec
  • Re: MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?Martijn Tonies15 Dec
    • Re: MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?Sven Köhler15 Dec
      • Re: MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?Chris Nolan15 Dec
  • Re: MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?Martijn Tonies15 Dec
  • Re: MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?Juergen Sauer15 Dec
  • Re: MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?Martijn Tonies15 Dec
    • Re: MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?Chris Nolan15 Dec
  • Re: MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?Martijn Tonies15 Dec
  • Re: MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?Matthew Stanfield15 Dec
    • Re: MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?Curtis Maurand15 Dec
      • Re: MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?Chris Nolan16 Dec
        • Re: MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?Matthew Stanfield16 Dec
          • Re: MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?Chris Nolan16 Dec
    • Re: MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?Chris Nolan16 Dec
      • Re: MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?Matthew Stanfield16 Dec
  • Re: MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?Vinod Kumar Singh16 Dec
  • Re: MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?Martijn Tonies16 Dec
  • Re: MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?Dr. Frank Ullrich16 Dec
    • Re: MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?Chris Nolan16 Dec
  • Re: MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?David Griffiths16 Dec
    • Re: MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?Chris Nolan16 Dec
  • Re: MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?David Griffiths16 Dec
    • Re: MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?Chris Nolan17 Dec
  • Re: MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?mos16 Dec
  • Re: MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?Martijn Tonies16 Dec
  • Re: MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?Matthew Stanfield17 Dec
    • Re: MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?Ed Leafe17 Dec
  • Re: MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?Director General: NEFACOMP7 Jan
  • Re: MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?Martijn Tonies7 Jan
RE: MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?Joshua Thomas15 Dec
Re: MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?mos17 Dec
  • Re: MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?Martijn Tonies17 Dec
Re: MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?mos18 Dec
  • Re: MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?Martijn Tonies18 Dec