List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Chris Nolan Date:December 15 2003 3:27pm
Subject:Re: Documentation bug?
View as plain text
Jeremy Zawodny wrote:

>On Mon, Dec 15, 2003 at 02:12:01PM +1100, Chris Nolan wrote:
>

>>It seems slightly ambiguous - updates are redirected and stalled. The
>>fact that the two statements are in different sentences threw me off
>>slightly.
>>

>Oh, okay.  If you can suggest a more clear version, perhaps Paul will
>update the manual with it?
>
>Jeremy

Hmm...how about something like:

"ALTER TABLE workds by making a temporary copy of the original table.
The alteration is performed on the copy,
after which the original table is deleted and the copy renamed. During
this process, updates do not explicitly failed but
are instead stalled until the alteration is complete. Clients wishing to
read from a table currently being altered are
able to do so as per usual."

My background is in software design, not documentation. Additionally,
one of my clients asked me to fix
a SCO OpenServer crash for them today and wouldn't let me use a chainsaw
or sledgehammer, so I'm a bit out
of it.

Best regards,

Chris

>>>What exactly is the discrepancy you see?  Can you be explicit?
>>>
>>>The manual describes the way ALTER TABLE works accurately.
>>>
>>>Jeremy
>>>--
>>>Jeremy D. Zawodny     |  Perl, Web, MySQL, Linux Magazine, Yahoo!
>>><Jeremy@stripped>  |  http://jeremy.zawodny.com/

Thread
Documentation bug?Chris Nolan14 Dec
  • Re: Documentation bug?Jeremy Zawodny14 Dec
    • Re: Documentation bug?Chris Nolan15 Dec
      • Re: Documentation bug?Jeremy Zawodny15 Dec
        • Re: Documentation bug?Chris Nolan15 Dec
  • Re: Documentation bug?Chuck Gadd14 Dec
  • Re: Documentation bug?Paul DuBois14 Dec