List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Sven Köhler Date:December 15 2003 2:26pm
Subject:Re: MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?
View as plain text
>>I was very disappointed by Interbase/Firebird. It seemed to me like a
>>MS-Access: a database-engine that works on regular files
>
> What gave you that idea? Firebird (and InterBase of course) use
> a at least 1 file per database, but that's all. Can you define
> "regular files"?

My idea of Firebird is the following:
There a library that can access a file and use it as a database.

that very much like using the MS-Jet-Engine which is the backend to
MS-Access.

>>OK, there is a network-server component, but it really has nothing to do
>>with an enterprise-DB.
>
> There's a server side process waiting for incoming connections
> just like with MySQL, MS SQL Server, Oracle etc etc...

Well, the network-server seemed to me like an application that uses the
library i mentioned above. It doesn't seem to me like a big application
like MySql or MaxDB. In other words: Firebird seems to be light weight
DBMS. MySQL and MaxDB have a multi-threaded kernel that maintains its
own cache, coordinates locks, etc.
I don't think that Firebird's architecture is like that.

Thread
MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?Jerry Apfelbaum14 Dec
  • Re: MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?Sven Köhler15 Dec
    • Re: MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?Chris Nolan15 Dec
      • Re: MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?Sven Köhler15 Dec
        • Re: MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?Chris Nolan15 Dec
          • Re: MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?Tobias Asplund15 Dec
            • Re: MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?Chris Nolan15 Dec
      • Re: MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?Jeremy Zawodny16 Dec
    • Re: MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?David Garamond16 Dec
      • Re: MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?Jeremy Zawodny16 Dec
        • Re: MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?Chris Nolan16 Dec
  • Re: MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?Martijn Tonies15 Dec
    • Re: MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?Sven Köhler15 Dec
      • Re: MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?Chris Nolan15 Dec
  • Re: MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?Martijn Tonies15 Dec
  • Re: MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?Juergen Sauer15 Dec
  • Re: MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?Martijn Tonies15 Dec
    • Re: MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?Chris Nolan15 Dec
  • Re: MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?Martijn Tonies15 Dec
  • Re: MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?Matthew Stanfield15 Dec
    • Re: MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?Curtis Maurand15 Dec
      • Re: MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?Chris Nolan16 Dec
        • Re: MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?Matthew Stanfield16 Dec
          • Re: MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?Chris Nolan16 Dec
    • Re: MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?Chris Nolan16 Dec
      • Re: MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?Matthew Stanfield16 Dec
  • Re: MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?Vinod Kumar Singh16 Dec
  • Re: MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?Martijn Tonies16 Dec
  • Re: MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?Dr. Frank Ullrich16 Dec
    • Re: MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?Chris Nolan16 Dec
  • Re: MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?David Griffiths16 Dec
    • Re: MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?Chris Nolan16 Dec
  • Re: MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?David Griffiths16 Dec
    • Re: MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?Chris Nolan17 Dec
  • Re: MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?mos16 Dec
  • Re: MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?Martijn Tonies16 Dec
  • Re: MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?Matthew Stanfield17 Dec
    • Re: MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?Ed Leafe17 Dec
  • Re: MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?Director General: NEFACOMP7 Jan
  • Re: MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?Martijn Tonies7 Jan
RE: MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?Joshua Thomas15 Dec
Re: MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?mos17 Dec
  • Re: MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?Martijn Tonies17 Dec
Re: MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?mos18 Dec
  • Re: MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?Martijn Tonies18 Dec