List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Chris Nolan Date:December 15 2003 2:11pm
Subject:Re: MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?
View as plain text
Huh? Not know how to backup a MySQL database? *sigh*

Every night, I do a backup of our MySQL database server that's holding
all of our mail and various other things (20GB+).

I set the isolation level to READ_REPEATABLE and use mysqldump | bzip2
to get the result. I've tested the restore and it's fine! A uni project
I was
working on this year that stored images and other binary stuff in BLOB
fields was successfully backed up in a similar fashion. This all applies
to InnoDB tables. I've
heard cases of needing to use READ_COMMITED as the isolation level in
some cases, as one can run into issues with memory consumption / table
space problems if your
traffic is high.

To backup those funky sleek MyISAM tables, you could just issue a LOCK
TABLE statement or two (LOCK DATABASE?), do a FLUSH and copy the files.
If I recall correctly,
(and I'm sure sirs DuBois and Zawodny will find out where I live and
deal with me if I don't :-) ), this might be how the mysqlhotcopy script
works.

Regarding Interbase/Firebird - you're talking about a database with a
very long and detailed history. The fact there is one file per database
doesn't mean much - InnoDB has one file per server should you want to
configure it that way and no stable release allows you to break up your
databases or tables into files in any fashion other than what InnoDB
itself decides to do with the ibdata* files you allow it to have.
Interbase is still one of the most popular embedded databases in the
world! Even more popular than (ick) FileMaker Pro and (vomit) FoxPro!
Just looking at the number of third party tools out there
that support development using it is a pretty decent vote of it's
industry acceptance.

I'm curious as to why you're not comfortable with MySQL. It truly
features the best of all worlds when it comes to performance options and
I've found the community support (Read: The MySQL mailing list)
to be far more valuable than any course I've looked at or taken. I'd be
very interested in hearing more from you, as I'm betting a few other
readers on both lists would.

Best regards,

Chris

Sven Köhler wrote:

> [...]
>
> It is a mystery to me how the PostGreSQL work. I cannot recomm to use
> any feature discovered in PostGreSQL since some of the more uncommon
> feature are broken.
>
>> I have only recently started these evaluations.  BTW, my own
>> background is
>> from the Oracle DBA world.
>

> Well, the DBMS comparable to Oracle is neither MySQL nor Firebird.
> It's MaxDB.
>
>> MySQL is certainly popular and seems to have very good performance,
>> but I am
>> concerned that the lack of Triggers, Stored Procedures, User-Defined
>> Functions, and Views (to a lesser degree ) will be a disadvantage.
>

> And foreign-keys are a feature you shouldn't miss to.
> MySQL does offer them by patching it with InnoDB.
>
>> MaxDB "appears" to be more feature-rich and possibly more
>> industrial-strength.  How does its performance and stability compare
>> to the
>> others?
>

> I'm using MaxDB and it's running 24/7 without problem on a web-server
> with a Java-WebApp. Before using MaxDB you should first look at the
> limits that MaxDB has. For example a row in a table may only store
> data up to 8KB. BLOP and CLOP columns don't count, but even for
> varchar-columns 8KB is a bit few. MaxDB has Unicode-support (UCS2)
> which is extremely important for Java-Clients. If using Unicode, 8KB
> means 4000chars. CLOB and BLOB-columns in MaxDB aren't comparable. You
> cannot use "like" or <,>,= on them. MaxDB even doesn't have a
> FullText-Search, but to me it's not that important since i can replace
> them with Java-based search-engines like Lucene. MaxDB has a mechanism
> to backup your database without breaking anything. MaxDB supports
> Server-side prepared statement. The JDBC-driver is of good quality.
> Bugs are fixed relativly fast.
>
> My favourite DBMS could be PostGreSQL if i only knew which features
> are stable and which are not. A strange thing is, that the
> PostGreSQL-people decided to use UTF-8 for their unicode-support. In
> my eyes that makes it different to calculate string-lengthts and
> comparisons. But their argument is, that UTF-8 usually causes less
> disk-io. But does varchar(400) now mean 400bytes or 400chars? i don't
> know.
> I didn't take a close look at PostGreSQL yet, so all features that i
> mentioned about MaxDB might apply to PostGreSQL too.
>
> On both, MaxDB and PostGreSQL, you need to perform regular tasks. You
> must update the optimizer statistics for MaxDB, and run VACUUM for
> PostGreSQL.
>
> MySQL, well, i wouldn't know how to backup it, except by using a dump.
> How can i dump a table with binary data? I don't wanna know. A dump is
> not a backup, it's crap. Than there's the lack of Unicode-support,
> Foreign Keys, prepared statements (emulated by client-lib if available
> as far as i know), ... That all doens't make me feel comfortable about

Thread
MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?Jerry Apfelbaum14 Dec
  • Re: MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?Sven Köhler15 Dec
    • Re: MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?Chris Nolan15 Dec
      • Re: MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?Sven Köhler15 Dec
        • Re: MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?Chris Nolan15 Dec
          • Re: MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?Tobias Asplund15 Dec
            • Re: MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?Chris Nolan15 Dec
      • Re: MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?Jeremy Zawodny16 Dec
    • Re: MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?David Garamond16 Dec
      • Re: MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?Jeremy Zawodny16 Dec
        • Re: MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?Chris Nolan16 Dec
  • Re: MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?Martijn Tonies15 Dec
    • Re: MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?Sven Köhler15 Dec
      • Re: MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?Chris Nolan15 Dec
  • Re: MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?Martijn Tonies15 Dec
  • Re: MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?Juergen Sauer15 Dec
  • Re: MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?Martijn Tonies15 Dec
    • Re: MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?Chris Nolan15 Dec
  • Re: MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?Martijn Tonies15 Dec
  • Re: MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?Matthew Stanfield15 Dec
    • Re: MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?Curtis Maurand15 Dec
      • Re: MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?Chris Nolan16 Dec
        • Re: MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?Matthew Stanfield16 Dec
          • Re: MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?Chris Nolan16 Dec
    • Re: MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?Chris Nolan16 Dec
      • Re: MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?Matthew Stanfield16 Dec
  • Re: MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?Vinod Kumar Singh16 Dec
  • Re: MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?Martijn Tonies16 Dec
  • Re: MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?Dr. Frank Ullrich16 Dec
    • Re: MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?Chris Nolan16 Dec
  • Re: MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?David Griffiths16 Dec
    • Re: MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?Chris Nolan16 Dec
  • Re: MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?David Griffiths16 Dec
    • Re: MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?Chris Nolan17 Dec
  • Re: MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?mos16 Dec
  • Re: MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?Martijn Tonies16 Dec
  • Re: MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?Matthew Stanfield17 Dec
    • Re: MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?Ed Leafe17 Dec
  • Re: MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?Director General: NEFACOMP7 Jan
  • Re: MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?Martijn Tonies7 Jan
RE: MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?Joshua Thomas15 Dec
Re: MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?mos17 Dec
  • Re: MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?Martijn Tonies17 Dec
Re: MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?mos18 Dec
  • Re: MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?Martijn Tonies18 Dec