List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Sven Köhler Date:December 15 2003 12:50pm
Subject:Re: MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?
View as plain text
> So far, it seems that MySQL, MaxDB, PostgreSQL, and Interbase/Firebird are
> possible candidates.
>
> Does anyone know why we should or should not use any of these?  Does anyone
> know of other possibilities?

I was very disappointed by Interbase/Firebird. It seemed to me like a
MS-Access: a database-engine that works on regular files
OK, there is a network-server component, but it really has nothing to do
with an enterprise-DB.

It is a mystery to me how the PostGreSQL work. I cannot recomm to use
any feature discovered in PostGreSQL since some of the more uncommon
feature are broken.

> I have only recently started these evaluations.  BTW, my own background is
> from the Oracle DBA world.

Well, the DBMS comparable to Oracle is neither MySQL nor Firebird.
It's MaxDB.

> MySQL is certainly popular and seems to have very good performance, but I am
> concerned that the lack of Triggers, Stored Procedures, User-Defined
> Functions, and Views (to a lesser degree ) will be a disadvantage.

And foreign-keys are a feature you shouldn't miss to.
MySQL does offer them by patching it with InnoDB.

> MaxDB "appears" to be more feature-rich and possibly more
> industrial-strength.  How does its performance and stability compare to the
> others?

I'm using MaxDB and it's running 24/7 without problem on a web-server
with a Java-WebApp. Before using MaxDB you should first look at the
limits that MaxDB has. For example a row in a table may only store data
up to 8KB. BLOP and CLOP columns don't count, but even for
varchar-columns 8KB is a bit few. MaxDB has Unicode-support (UCS2) which
is extremely important for Java-Clients. If using Unicode, 8KB means
4000chars. CLOB and BLOB-columns in MaxDB aren't comparable. You cannot
use "like" or <,>,= on them. MaxDB even doesn't have a FullText-Search,
but to me it's not that important since i can replace them with
Java-based search-engines like Lucene. MaxDB has a mechanism to backup
your database without breaking anything. MaxDB supports Server-side
prepared statement. The JDBC-driver is of good quality. Bugs are fixed
relativly fast.

My favourite DBMS could be PostGreSQL if i only knew which features are
stable and which are not. A strange thing is, that the PostGreSQL-people
decided to use UTF-8 for their unicode-support. In my eyes that makes it
different to calculate string-lengthts and comparisons. But their
argument is, that UTF-8 usually causes less disk-io. But does
varchar(400) now mean 400bytes or 400chars? i don't know.
I didn't take a close look at PostGreSQL yet, so all features that i
mentioned about MaxDB might apply to PostGreSQL too.

On both, MaxDB and PostGreSQL, you need to perform regular tasks. You
must update the optimizer statistics for MaxDB, and run VACUUM for
PostGreSQL.

MySQL, well, i wouldn't know how to backup it, except by using a dump.
How can i dump a table with binary data? I don't wanna know. A dump is
not a backup, it's crap. Than there's the lack of Unicode-support,
Foreign Keys, prepared statements (emulated by client-lib if available
as far as i know), ... That all doens't make me feel comfortable about
MySQL.

Thread
MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?Jerry Apfelbaum14 Dec
  • Re: MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?Sven Köhler15 Dec
    • Re: MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?Chris Nolan15 Dec
      • Re: MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?Sven Köhler15 Dec
        • Re: MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?Chris Nolan15 Dec
          • Re: MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?Tobias Asplund15 Dec
            • Re: MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?Chris Nolan15 Dec
      • Re: MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?Jeremy Zawodny16 Dec
    • Re: MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?David Garamond16 Dec
      • Re: MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?Jeremy Zawodny16 Dec
        • Re: MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?Chris Nolan16 Dec
  • Re: MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?Martijn Tonies15 Dec
    • Re: MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?Sven Köhler15 Dec
      • Re: MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?Chris Nolan15 Dec
  • Re: MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?Martijn Tonies15 Dec
  • Re: MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?Juergen Sauer15 Dec
  • Re: MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?Martijn Tonies15 Dec
    • Re: MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?Chris Nolan15 Dec
  • Re: MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?Martijn Tonies15 Dec
  • Re: MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?Matthew Stanfield15 Dec
    • Re: MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?Curtis Maurand15 Dec
      • Re: MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?Chris Nolan16 Dec
        • Re: MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?Matthew Stanfield16 Dec
          • Re: MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?Chris Nolan16 Dec
    • Re: MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?Chris Nolan16 Dec
      • Re: MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?Matthew Stanfield16 Dec
  • Re: MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?Vinod Kumar Singh16 Dec
  • Re: MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?Martijn Tonies16 Dec
  • Re: MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?Dr. Frank Ullrich16 Dec
    • Re: MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?Chris Nolan16 Dec
  • Re: MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?David Griffiths16 Dec
    • Re: MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?Chris Nolan16 Dec
  • Re: MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?David Griffiths16 Dec
    • Re: MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?Chris Nolan17 Dec
  • Re: MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?mos16 Dec
  • Re: MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?Martijn Tonies16 Dec
  • Re: MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?Matthew Stanfield17 Dec
    • Re: MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?Ed Leafe17 Dec
  • Re: MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?Director General: NEFACOMP7 Jan
  • Re: MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?Martijn Tonies7 Jan
RE: MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?Joshua Thomas15 Dec
Re: MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?mos17 Dec
  • Re: MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?Martijn Tonies17 Dec
Re: MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?mos18 Dec
  • Re: MySQL or MaxDB or PostgreSQL or Interbase/Firebird or ?Martijn Tonies18 Dec