List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Mmm Ster UCI Date:April 9 1999 1:50am
Subject:MetaData Layer Problem
View as plain text
Hello all,

I am writing a Java application which uses the EnterpriseSoft Report
Writer to print reports (this is by no means a plug for their
software) and on the backend I am using a JDBC driver
(http://www.gwe.co.uk/mysql/) to connect to our MySQL database.  I
have encountered some problems reading tables from the database
(although I can connect just fine) because of the following taken from
the FAQ on EnterpriseSoft's Website:

--------------
I am able to connect to my database, but I cannot see any of the
tables/columns. What could be wrong ?

        1.If you are able to connect but are not able to read any
tables/columns, make sure the username and password you are using are
          correct and that you have the rights to read the
tables/columns.
        2.ERW heavily uses the MetaData layer to read database
information. If your database/driver does not cleanly implement or
support
          the JDBC MetaData module, you may not see the table/column
information. Usually when this happens, messages are displayed
          either by the driver or the database letting you know about
this. Check the console window for such messages and tell your
          database administrator about them. You may need to upgrade
your database or get different drivers.
--------------

My question to all you knowledgable people is... is there a way to
implement this in MySQL (it works great with Access and SQL-Server)
using a different driver (the use of myODBC would be a last result) or
more updated driver which supports the JDBC MetaData module?  Has
anyone else come across a similar problem trying to implement this
with the ERW software or any other software?  Thanks in advance for
any help!

Josh Drummond
http://www.hurl.net

MetaData Layer ProblemMmm Ster UCI9 Apr