List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Jay Blanchard Date:December 11 2003 2:08pm
Subject:RE: How to READ/WRITE directly on MyISAM data files ?
View as plain text
[snip]
|	4	  |   PC AR3    |  SPCom Inc. |  1200.00    |   2 year    |

|	4	  |   PC AR3    |  SPCom Inc. |  1300.00    |   3 year    |

|	4	  |   PC AR4    |  SPCom Inc. |  1400.00    |   4 year    |

+-------------+-------------+-------------+-------------+-------------+

From My Server Side Application (C code)

I can Update my Rows using my RowID.

Example : "UPDATE TABLE product SET Price="2000.00" WHERE RowID="3"";
[/snip]

Yes, but if you use RowID 4 you'll be updating multiple rows....

[snip]
But For My Client Side Applications :

I know there are ways to bypass this problem, but it involves much more
coding in my Delphi applications
on my Client side.
[/snip]

So?

[snip]
So my question is, Is there a way to hide a field from select statements.

Of course, if my user wrote "SELECT RowId, Name, Company, Price, Warranty
FROM product"
he would get the RowId in his query output.
[/snip]

Does the user know all of the columns? If so, and he chose to see them that would be his
choice, no?

Really, it is just bad database design. Each row should have a unique identifier.  What is
the big deal about the user seeing the RowID?
Thread
How to READ/WRITE directly on MyISAM data files ?Stéphane Bischoff11 Dec
  • Re: How to READ/WRITE directly on MyISAM data files ?Martijn Tonies11 Dec
  • Re: How to READ/WRITE directly on MyISAM data files ?Stephen Brownlow12 Dec
RE: How to READ/WRITE directly on MyISAM data files ?Stéphane Bischoff11 Dec
  • Re: How to READ/WRITE directly on MyISAM data files ?Martijn Tonies11 Dec
RE: How to READ/WRITE directly on MyISAM data files ?Jay Blanchard11 Dec
RE: How to READ/WRITE directly on MyISAM data files ?Stéphane Bischoff11 Dec
RE: How to READ/WRITE directly on MyISAM data files ?Jay Blanchard11 Dec
RE: How to READ/WRITE directly on MyISAM data files ?Dan Greene11 Dec
RE: How to READ/WRITE directly on MyISAM data files ?Stéphane Bischoff11 Dec
  • Re: How to READ/WRITE directly on MyISAM data files ?Martijn Tonies11 Dec
  • RE: How to READ/WRITE directly on MyISAM data files ?Matt Griffin11 Dec