List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Michael Stassen Date:December 3 2003 9:39pm
Subject:Re: Installation Problem
View as plain text
Alex Brown wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I installed MySQL on a Mac (OS 10.1) a while ago with the good intension
> of learning to use, and using, MySQL, but other things got in the way.
> However, I have finally found some time (so far) and I am now trying to
> install the latest version of MySQL (4.0.16) onto OSX 10.2 (on an iMAC
> G4), and I must admit to having run into a problem ( I have a vague
> recollection of having problems before).

I have a similar setup: 4.0.16 on 10.2.8 on an iMac G3.

> I downloaded the installation file mysql-standard-4.0.16.dmg from the
> MySQl web site as recommended by Mark Liyanage, and followed the
> installation instructions given in the README. All was fine until I
> reached the point where the root password is set - the following is what
> happened
>
> [blah:~] alexbrown% /usr/local/mysql/bin/mysqladmin -u root password mysql

This set the password for root@localhost to "mysql".  (I hope that's not
the real password.)

> [blah:~] alexbrown% /usr/local/mysql/bin/mysqladmin -u root -h
> `hostname` password mysql
> /usr/local/mysql/bin/mysqladmin: connect to server at 'blah.local.' failed
> error: 'Access denied for user: 'root@localhost' (Using password: NO)'

The error says that you are connecting as root@localhost, but you didn't
supply the password, which is needed because you just set it in the
first step.

> [blah:~] alexbrown% /usr/local/mysql/bin/mysqladmin -u root -h localhost
> password mysql
> /usr/local/mysql/bin/mysqladmin: connect to server at 'localhost' failed
> error: 'Access denied for user: 'root@localhost' (Using password: NO)'

Same here.

> The last command I got from the searchable Reference Manual, from a
> posting made by briantrino.
>
> Could someone please explain. I must admit that the program is running,
> and I have four users, two of whom are 'root', one on 'localhost' with a
> password and the other on 'blah.local.' with no password. The other two
> users have no user-name or password. Can I set the password for the
> other 'root' (on 'blah.local.') fromiside MySQL ? What are the other two
> unnamed users ?

Yes, you can do this within mysql.  Use

   mysql -u root -p mysql

to log into mysql as root@localhost.  You'll be prompted for the
password.  Use the one you set in step 1.  Then enter

   GRANT ALL ON *.* TO root@stripped IDENTIFIED BY 'newpassword'

Replace newpassword with the password you want for root@stripped.

The two users with empty username and password fields are the anonymous
user, one for localhost, one for external access.  If you do not need
them, you can safely delete them.  (I'd definitely get rid of the
external anonymous user.)

For more detailed info, see "MySQL User Account Management"
<http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/User_Account_Management.html> in the manual.

> I am hoping to install MySL onto a PowerBook G4. The above problem may
> more obvious here as the 'host' can appear to change depending on
> whether the PowerBook is on the internet or not.

Note that you don't actually need a root@`hostname` account if you
connect from localhost.  You only need a user@host account if you want
that user to be able to connect from the named external host.

> I hope this all make some sense, and that someone can help.
>
> Many thanks in advance,

You're welcome.

> Alex Brown
>
> MRC-T.

Michael

Thread
Installation ProblemAlex Brown3 Dec
  • Re: Installation ProblemMichael Stassen3 Dec
    • Re: Installation ProblemAlex Brown5 Dec
      • Re: Installation ProblemMichael Stassen5 Dec