List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Louis van der Merwe Date:December 3 2003 2:13pm
Subject:Re: Linux access question
View as plain text
No'am

I had the same problem a few days ago, and various people on the mailing
list helped me solve it.

The way that I understand it is, mysql allows to create a user for a
specific remote host, or for all remote hosts.

therefore, you will have to create a database user for
noam@stripped, or you could create a user 'noam@%', this should
allow you to connect from any host, using the username 'noam'

I had to restart mysql for the changes to take effect, but apparently
you can 'flush users'

hope this helps

regards

Louis

On Wed, 2003-12-03 at 16:11, Noamn wrote:
> About a year ago, I set up mySQL on a computer running linux (probably
> RH7.1). At the time I thought that I would investigate how I could use this
> server in my business, but then I had more pressing issues and so neglected
> the subject. Now that I have some spare times and correct tools (Delphi 7),
> I want to renew my acquaintance with mySQL.
>
> I am trying to access the server from two computers running Win98. Both of
> them can connect to the linux machine via telnet and run programs such as
> the command line 'mysql', but only one of them allows me to connect via
> windows programs (I am using a program imaginatively called
> 'mysql_test.exe'). Of course, the machine which doesn't connect is the
> machine on which I am doing the program development.
>
> As far as I can figure out, there is some table (either in mySQL or in
> linux) which allows 'noam@stripped' to connect, but does not allow
> 'noam@stripped' to connect. What I am asking you, dear readers, is to
> help me find where I can add a definition to allow the second machine (and
> eventually others) to connect.
>
> I seem to be using version 3.22
>
> TIA,
> No'am

Thread
Linux access questionNoamn3 Dec
  • Re: Linux access questionLouis van der Merwe3 Dec
  • Re: Linux access questionVictoria Reznichenko3 Dec
  • Re: Linux access questionChuck Gadd3 Dec
RE: Linux access questionNoamn3 Dec
  • Re: Linux access questionDavid T-G3 Dec