List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Ari Davidow Date:December 2 2003 8:48pm
Subject:stress testing
View as plain text
We have just put up a new MySQL 3.23.x on a modest Sun V120 with 1GB RAM
and a few gig of hard disk space. We're running Solaris 2.8.

We seem to be clueless (I am certainly clueless) about testing various
configuration options so that we are reasonably optimizing the resources
available to this server. We ran through (approximately) the four
configuration files included with the MySQL distro, and then added more
memory (we had, after all, 1GB).

We set up a script to repeated parse some common documents with lots of
queries. Then we tried the sort of exercise where we'd create temporary
tables and copy back and forth. Finally, we ran a load of SELECTs using
full-text search (3 explicitly joined tables).

We did not record statistically significant results.

In truth, we have just begun using MySQL, and don't know what our pattern
of usage is. Is there an idealized generalized configuration model and a
tool or method available to test our server against that ideal? The online
reference doesn't say much about optimization, and it is surely messier
when we don't really know what we are optimizing for (or how to test,
assuming we did know).

Any suggestions? stress testers that have matched up against specific types
of configuration?

ari

Ari Davidow
ari@stripped
http://www.ivritype.com/

Thread
practical MySQL database size limitsAri Davidow6 Nov
  • Re: practical MySQL database size limitsJeff Mathis7 Nov
    • Re: practical MySQL database size limitsJeremy Zawodny9 Nov
  • Re: practical MySQL database size limitsEric Jain10 Nov
    • stress testingAri Davidow2 Dec
      • Re: stress testingGabriel Ricard2 Dec