List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Dominic Hayhoe Date:November 25 2003 9:42am
Subject:help needed!
View as plain text
Hi,
I think everyone is misunderstanding my problem as perhaps I didnt phrase it very well.

I need to add a new autonumber field to my db, but I need to make sure when the numbers go
into the field they are in the order of one of my other fields that is a date field.

i.e. I have a field which shows the date someone became a member - but my current ID field
doesnt match in order.

So I need to add a new ID field so that numbers 1 - say 100 are say 1st Jan 00 then
numbers 101 - say 201 are say 2nd Jan 00 etc. etc. So that the ID fields order matches
the dates order.

Now I can write SELECT * FROM table ORDER BY STARTDATE which orders the db correctly, but
then how do I add an autonumber field to it and keep the records in that order?

Thanks!
D.Hayhoe

This email has been scanned for viruses.

Thread
help needed!Dominic Hayhoe25 Nov
  • Re: help needed!Martijn Tonies25 Nov