List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Tom Horstmann Date:November 25 2003 9:26am
Subject:RE: Searching for a realtime progress bar that uses mySQL and Flash?
View as plain text
>  I disagree, you can restrict access to SELECT only

Sure, but no access is much more secure than restricted access.

> and plus
> any normal form
> on a web page has access to a DB in much more insecure ways
> (SQL injection,
> etc.),

What you consider insecure should not been written directly to
a database. The form is processed by a server-side executable
which should check incoming data before writing.

> and as I said, it must be a 'real-time' progress meter without
> refreshing the .php/.html page.
>
> Javascript is not able to query the DB.

Of course it is not:) As Flash is not. Nothing client-side is able
to without something server-side. But it is able to connect to a
server and therefore able to load data from there. Only makes
sense with http-connections - what result in some kind of refresh -
but refreshing the whole page is not needed.

Considering Flash you should have a look at
http://www.macromedia.com/support/flash/action_scripts/actionscript_dictiona
ry/actionscript_dictionary425.html

Regards,

TomH

Thread
Searching for a realtime progress bar that uses mySQL and Flash?Daevid Vincent25 Nov
  • RE: Searching for a realtime progress bar that uses mySQL and Flash?Tom Horstmann25 Nov
    • RE: Searching for a realtime progress bar that uses mySQL and Flash?Daevid Vincent25 Nov
      • RE: Searching for a realtime progress bar that uses mySQL and Flash?Tom Horstmann25 Nov
        • RE: Searching for a realtime progress bar that uses mySQL and Flash?TheMechE25 Nov
  • "--with-debug" optionStefaan Van Dooren25 Nov
    • Re: "--with-debug" optionBoyd Gerber25 Nov
      • RE: "--with-debug" optionStefaan Van Dooren26 Nov
RE: Searching for a realtime progress bar that uses mySQL and Flash?Dan Greene25 Nov