List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Michael Widenius Date:October 7 1999 12:36pm
Subject:Re: Trailing blanks get chopped away from 'strings'
View as plain text

>> According to the doc:
>> (...) All end space are removed when storing it. (...)

Tobias> So it's a feature, not a bug? This can hardly be compliant with the SQL
Tobias> standards? Well, at least it's better than the previous DBMS I used - it
Tobias> could only cope with 7-bit varchars...

Hi!

We regard this as a 'misfeature :)

(The problem is that we have some old code that depend on the above
behavour).

We intend to fix this in MySQL 4.0;  The new MyISAM can already handle
true varchars / We only have to update the upper layers in mysqld to
use the new functionality.

Regards,
Monty
Thread
Trailing blanks get chopped away from 'strings'tobiasb6 Oct
  • Re: Trailing blanks get chopped away from 'strings'Faisal Nasim6 Oct
    • Re: Trailing blanks get chopped away from 'strings'Tobias Brox7 Oct
      • Re: Trailing blanks get chopped away from 'strings'Bob Kline7 Oct
        • Re: Trailing blanks get chopped away from 'strings'Tobias Brox7 Oct
      • Re: Trailing blanks get chopped away from 'strings'Michael Widenius7 Oct
    • Re: Trailing blanks get chopped away from 'strings'Faisal Nasim7 Oct
      • Re: Trailing blanks get chopped away from 'strings'Michael Widenius8 Oct
    • Re: Trailing blanks get chopped away from 'strings'Tonu Samuel8 Oct
    • question on perl DBI _ListDBs functionJames H. Thompson8 Oct
  • Re: Trailing blanks get chopped away from 'strings'Carsten H. Pedersen6 Oct
  • Trailing blanks get chopped away from 'strings'Jani Tolonen6 Oct
    • Trailing blanks get chopped away from 'strings'Jani Tolonen6 Oct