List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Michael Widenius Date:October 6 1999 7:10pm
Subject:Re: UPDATE is not good enough in MYSQL
View as plain text
>>>>> "Martin" == Martin Ramsch <m.ramsch@stripped> writes:

Martin> On Tue, 1999-10-05 13:43:13 +0200, Ben-Nes Michael wrote:
>> Hi I wanted to do :
>>
>> UPDATE  products SET Weight = '0.5' FROM products,  rank WHERE
>> products.code = rank.code AND category = 'bell';
>>
>> And got answered that its impossible and all I can do is first do a
>> select then update the results.
>> This is a good solution only when i mange few items, but when i get back
>> hundreds of items its not enough.

Martin> Why is it 'not enough' -- does it not work for you?

Martin> But I agree, that it would be very good to extend the UPDATE syntax to
Martin> allow for joins, too!

I agree.  This isn't really that complicated to do and this has quite
high priority for us.

(DELETE with joins is also very important and even easier to implement)

Regards,
Monty
Thread
UPDATE is not good enough in MYSQLBen-Nes Michael5 Oct
  • Re: UPDATE is not good enough in MYSQLMartin Ramsch5 Oct
    • Re: UPDATE is not good enough in MYSQLMichael Widenius7 Oct
  • Re: UPDATE is not good enough in MYSQLTonu Samuel5 Oct
  • Re: UPDATE is not good enough in MYSQLBen-Nes Michael5 Oct
    • Re: UPDATE is not good enough in MYSQLPaul DuBois5 Oct