List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Michael Widenius Date:October 6 1999 11:45pm
Subject:RE: Strange lock up (repost)
View as plain text

Timothy> Hi Sinisia,
>> Please check a size of your partition where database files are.
Timothy> 17 Gig, about 9% used

>> Second, do you use any table locks ??
Timothy> No, we don't use any table locks.

Timothy> Interestingly enough, we've been on the phone with Sun and they gave us a
Timothy> few commands to run to track the processor utilization.  The mpstat command
Timothy> gave us an abnormally high value for the "smtx" column (which basically
Timothy> represents cross-processor locking).  Sun said that this number, at its
Timothy> highest should be around 200, and our system is reporting values up towards
Timothy> 13,000.  Sun said that most of the threads are user threads causing this, so
Timothy> that this is an application related issue.

Timothy> Here's the snip from Sun Tech Support:

>> The data you sent appears to verify that there is a lock contention
>> issue caused by MySQL itself.  This article describes how to
>> interpret the
>> data, and how to collect more data about the application itself:
>> http://www.sunworld.com/swol-08-1998/swol-08-perf.html I'll leave
>> this open until you've looked at that, and checked the resources for
>> MySQL.

<cut>

One suggestion:

In sql/mysqld.cc you can find the following code:

#ifdef HAVE_THR_SETCONCURRENCY
  (void) thr_setconcurrency(20);                        // We are iobound
#endif

Try increasing/decreasing the '20' value.  Does this help ?
(If yes, I will add this as a standard MySQL variable)

Regards,
Monty
Thread
RE: Strange lock up (repost)Timothy Chi5 Oct
  • RE: Strange lock up (repost)Michael Widenius7 Oct
RE: Strange lock up (repost)Timothy Chi5 Oct
  • RE: Strange lock up (repost)Michael Widenius7 Oct
  • RE: Strange lock up (repost)Michael Widenius16 Oct
RE: Strange lock up (repost)sinisa5 Oct
  • RE: Strange lock up (repost)Roy Teahen15 Oct