List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Andreas Date:November 9 2003 6:20pm
Subject:Re: Data sincronization
View as plain text
>* Gaston Escobar
>

>>I need to sincronice two mysql databases that are in different
>>places. It is imposible to centralice everything in one database.
>>Then I would need to sincronice the changes made in both of them
>>one time per day. Is there any way to do this?

* Roger Baklund

>This very much depends on your application. Normally some changes needs to
>be done in the table definitions.

Right, ids and foreign keys are an issue here.

>One way to get around this, is to include a new column in the table, called
>'server' in this example. [...]
I thought about this but I couldn't figure out how to manage foreign
keys in an elegant way.
AFAIK it's much more handy to have one single column primary key.

>A different approach could be to make sure server A only use id codes >
>100000, and server B only use id codes < 100000 or similar. This would
>require you to make a guess on how many rows will be inserted on each
>server, and could introduce a problem in the future, when this limit is
>reached.

Right, too.
So, with an nonpermanent connection the design of such an application sucks.

On the other hand one could use intervals for key assignment.
Every time a server runs out of keys it throws a warning at the admin
and rejects further inserts until it gets a new key interval.
It's a way to go at least with a low number of servers.

Thread
Data sincronizationGaston Escobar4 Mar
  • Re: Data sincronizationRoger Baklund4 Mar
    • Re: Data sincronizationAndreas9 Nov
      • Re: Data sincronizationRoger Baklund9 Nov
        • Dupe killing (was: Data sincronization)Andreas10 Nov
        • Re: Data sincronizationKaram Chand10 Nov
          • ANN: Database Workbench 2.4 releasedMartijn Tonies10 Nov
            • Re: ANN: Database Workbench 2.4 releasedNils Valentin10 Nov
          • Re: ANN: Database Workbench 2.4 releasedMartijn Tonies10 Nov