List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Martijn Tonies Date:November 7 2003 6:08pm
Subject:Re: Need help comparing MySQL to MS SQL Server
View as plain text
Hi Kevin,

> Martijn, thank you very much for your analysis.
>I hope others will continue to join in.

So do I :-)

> With regard to your point quoted below, are you referring to PostgreSQL,
and would that be a
> stronger competitor to MS SQL Server 2000 than either the current version
of MySQL or
> MySQL 5?

I have no experience with PostgreSQL - although, from what I've heard and
read,
it's quite capable - but not easy to get going on Windows.

One other open source RDBMS would be Firebird - see www.firebirdsql.org
Especially the newer release (1.5). Don't get fooled by that version
number -
it's a fork of the Borland InterBase code, which has been around for about
20
years now.

I'm looking forward to MySQL5 to see what's new and how it's implemented.

As for what engine would be the best for you - it all depends on what you're
going to do. For example, I frequently use triggers and check constraints in
my database applications, with MySQL, I can't do this.

With regards,

Martijn Tonies
Database Workbench - developer tool for InterBase, Firebird & MS SQL Server.
Upscene Productions
http://www.upscene.com

Thread
Need help comparing MySQL to MS SQL ServerKEVIN ZEMBOWER7 Nov
  • Re: Need help comparing MySQL to MS SQL ServerMartijn Tonies7 Nov
  • Re: Need help comparing MySQL to MS SQL ServerBrent Baisley7 Nov
Re: Need help comparing MySQL to MS SQL ServerKEVIN ZEMBOWER7 Nov
  • Re: Need help comparing MySQL to MS SQL ServerMartijn Tonies7 Nov
Re: Need help comparing MySQL to MS SQL ServerNestor Florez7 Nov
Re: Need help comparing MySQL to MS SQL ServerKEVIN ZEMBOWER7 Nov
  • Re: Need help comparing MySQL to MS SQL ServerJeff Mathis7 Nov
RE: Need help comparing MySQL to MS SQL ServerJohn Griffin7 Nov
Re: Need help comparing MySQL to MS SQL ServerPeter Gulutzan18 Nov