List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Thimble Smith Date:October 6 1999 5:30pm
Subject:Re: Normalization w/ MySQL?
View as plain text
At 11:38, 19991005, Steve Freitas wrote:
>Someone please correct me on this if I'm wrong.

Gladly!  :)

>The way I understand MySQL is that foreign keys don't work. What this
>means is that MySQL is incompatible with any database schema that's in
>normalized form. Is this true?

NO!

>And if this is true, what does everybody do? If I want to, say, add
>something to the shopping cart table for someone, I'd have to insert
>their account number along with everything else. And if they changed
>their account number over in their account management screen (unlikely
>but go with me), unless my program went through and modified the stored
>account number in the shopping cart table, it'd be lost to them, wouldn't
>it?

Please see the hundreds of posts on this in the mailing list.  Here's
one example others have found useful in the past:

    http://www.progressive-comp.com/Lists/?l=mysql&m=91065802415239

Tim
Thread
Normalization w/ MySQL?Steve Freitas6 Oct
Re: Normalization w/ MySQL?Thimble Smith6 Oct
Re: Normalization w/ MySQL?Steve Freitas6 Oct
Re: Normalization w/ MySQL?Dan Nelson6 Oct
  • Re: Normalization w/ MySQL?James Manning6 Oct
    • Re: Normalization w/ MySQL?Dan Nelson6 Oct
Re: Normalization w/ MySQL?Steve Freitas6 Oct
Re: Normalization w/ MySQL?Vivek Khera6 Oct
Re: Normalization w/ MySQL?Bob Kline7 Oct