List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Dan Nelson Date:April 8 1999 4:12pm
Subject:Re: FreeBSD3.x RELEASE
View as plain text
In the last episode (Apr 08), Paul D. Smith said:
> %% "Fred Lindberg" <lindberg@stripped> writes:
> > Also, in theory, a set of computers should be able to share /usr
> > (e.g. mouted from one NFS server), and then mount their own
> > /usr/local on top of that.
>
> Hmm.  I don't think I've ever heard of an NFS implementation that let
> you mount another filesystem on top of an NFS filesystem.  You can't
> even mount other NFS filesystems, much less local ones.

This is getting off-topic, but you've always been able to do this.  If
you can't mount a volume on top of an NFS volume, how could you
possibly mount a foreign site (like my machine) that has separate / and
/usr?  You mount dan:/ onto /mnt/ first, then mount dan:/usr onto
/mnt/usr.

	-Dan Nelson
	dnelson@stripped
Thread
FreeBSD 3.x RELEASEPkunk Fury8 Apr
  • Re: FreeBSD 3.x RELEASEDan Nelson8 Apr
Re: FreeBSD 3.x RELEASEJordan Krushen8 Apr
Re: FreeBSD3.x RELEASEkvgu8 Apr
  • Re: FreeBSD3.x RELEASEVivek Khera8 Apr
Re: FreeBSD3.x RELEASEFred Lindberg8 Apr
  • Re: FreeBSD3.x RELEASE(Paul D. Smith)8 Apr