List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Mike Brando Date:November 6 2003 9:02pm
Subject:RE: ROWID
View as plain text

Ok, so that search produces this:

" If the PRIMARY or UNIQUE key consists of only one column and this is of type
integer, you can also refer to it as _rowid (new in Version 3.23.11)."

But that's not what a "ROWID" is compared to what I think the original poster
was looking for. In Oracle for example, a ROWID is the unique address of a row
in the database. Every row, unique key or not has a unique address. Is there
such a thing in MySQL? ROWIDs are extremely useful for guaranteeing that you
are manipulating the exact row that you think you are.

Michael Brando
Senior Manager of Engineering
Applied Biosystems
3833 North First Street