List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Paul D. Smith Date:April 8 1999 3:52pm
Subject:Re: FreeBSD3.x RELEASE
View as plain text
%% "Fred Lindberg" <lindberg@stripped> writes:

  fl> On Thu, 8 Apr 1999 11:23:08 -0400 (EDT), Vivek Khera wrote:
  >> I think the theory is that /usr is a read-only file system (except for
  >> software updates) and all per-system local data that varies (changes)
  >> goes in /var.

  fl> Also, in theory, a set of computers should be able to share /usr (e.g.
  fl> mouted from one NFS server), and then mount their own /usr/local on top
  fl> of that.

Hmm.  I don't think I've ever heard of an NFS implementation that let
you mount another filesystem on top of an NFS filesystem.  You can't
even mount other NFS filesystems, much less local ones.

This would have to be handled with a well-known symlink or something, I
guess.

 Paul D. Smith <psmith@stripped>         Network Management Development
FreeBSD 3.x RELEASEPkunk Fury8 Apr
  • Re: FreeBSD 3.x RELEASEDan Nelson8 Apr
Re: FreeBSD 3.x RELEASEJordan Krushen8 Apr
Re: FreeBSD3.x RELEASEkvgu8 Apr
  • Re: FreeBSD3.x RELEASEVivek Khera8 Apr
Re: FreeBSD3.x RELEASEFred Lindberg8 Apr
  • Re: FreeBSD3.x RELEASE(Paul D. Smith)8 Apr