List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Sasha Pachev Date:April 8 1999 3:46pm
Subject:Re: silient and very short auto-start
View as plain text
I agree with Jordan.

Jordan Krushen wrote:

> Hardly..  Why would you possibly lose changes by upgrading your OS?  I've
> never seen an OS, especially FreeBSD, touch /usr/local/etc/rc.d from an
> upgrade.  I'd imagine one that is backward enough to replace config files
> without asking would also overwrite rc.local.  The *biggest* reason for
> having separate files is that if you accidentally forget a " or a ' in
> rc.local, chances are the rest of the script would not complete, and
> critical services (such as, say, sshd) would not load.
>
> Just picture working on your system remotely, rebooting, and not being able
> to get back in because of a silly little typo in rc.local.  Having separate
> scripts in /usr/local/etc/rc.d completely rids you of that problem (only
> that particular script would fail).  Far more reliable, far simpler (many
> startup scripts are rather large, and can clutter up rc.local), and more
> powerful -- most startup scripts aren't simply run, they're actually passed
> a 'start' parameter, and can be passed 'stop' ones as well.  When installing
> a package, the install script can also easily create a single file in rc.d,
> whereas it would have to append something to rc.local, which isn't all that
> simple to do if it doesn't belong right at the end of the script.  This way,
> newer versions of software can simply overwrite the script in rc.d if you
> chose to, instead of searching through rc.local to find relative blocks of
> code and replacing them (which would almost certainly screw up).
>
> rc.local is now deprecated on FreeBSD in favour of rc.d.
>
> J.

Sasha Pachev
http://www.sashanet.com/ (home)
http://www.direct1.com/ (work)
Thread
silient and very short auto-startDavid Hanney1 Apr
  • Re: silient and very short auto-startDima Chernyshenko1 Apr
  • Re: silient and very short auto-startFrederik Lindberg1 Apr
    • Re: silient and very short auto-startDavid Hanney1 Apr
  • silient and very short auto-startMichael Widenius1 Apr
  • Re: silient and very short auto-startPaul DuBois1 Apr
    • Re: silient and very short auto-startLuke8 Apr
      • Re: silient and very short auto-startEd Carp8 Apr
Re: silient and very short auto-startJordan Krushen8 Apr
  • Re: silient and very short auto-startSasha Pachev8 Apr
Re: silient and very short auto-startEd Carp8 Apr
  • Re: silient and very short auto-startJordan Krushen9 Apr
  • Re: silient and very short auto-startEd Carp9 Apr