List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Fred Lindberg Date:April 8 1999 3:43pm
Subject:Re: FreeBSD3.x RELEASE
View as plain text
On Thu, 8 Apr 1999 11:23:08 -0400 (EDT), Vivek Khera wrote:

>I think the theory is that /usr is a read-only file system (except for
>software updates) and all per-system local data that varies (changes)
>goes in /var.

Also, in theory, a set of computers should be able to share /usr (e.g.
mouted from one NFS server), and then mount their own /usr/local on top
of that. Thus, /usr/local is used for read-only info that is specific
to a host, and /usr general to e.g. a cluster. This is why Linux (e.g.
.rpm) installs MySQL programs, libraries, and headers in the /usr tree
and not the /usr/local tree (the latter is more common on non-Linux
uni[x|c]es. Here you can argue both ways (i.e. that MySQL is a local as
opposed to general installation ...).

-Sincerely, Fred

FreeBSD 3.x RELEASEPkunk Fury8 Apr
  • Re: FreeBSD 3.x RELEASEDan Nelson8 Apr
Re: FreeBSD 3.x RELEASEJordan Krushen8 Apr
Re: FreeBSD3.x RELEASEkvgu8 Apr
  • Re: FreeBSD3.x RELEASEVivek Khera8 Apr
Re: FreeBSD3.x RELEASEFred Lindberg8 Apr
  • Re: FreeBSD3.x RELEASE(Paul D. Smith)8 Apr