List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Saqib Ali Date:October 28 2003 4:46pm
Subject:Re: Is MySQL Relational? (was: Foreigner keys in MySQL?)
View as plain text
a question...

is any DB that complies to the "Relational Algebra" a "Relational DB"???

Saqib Ali
---------
http://validate.sourceforge.net <--- XHTML/HTML/DocBook Validator

On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 jeffrey_n_Dyke@stripped wrote:

> I tend to agree with the past two posts that mysql is in fact relational,
> and would like to add that if we are going to make blanket statements that
> something IS or IS NOT that we qualify our responses.  personlly i would
> like to know why Martijn views it as being a non relational db, without
> argument.  If you just say its so, why am is supposed to take that
> statement over those that provide a full email of text like bluejack or
> John that provided additional information via a link.
>
> Just saying No, to a question like that does not lend to learning only to
> confusion.
>
> sorry about the mini rant....
> jeff
>

>                       bluejack
>                       <blunt@stripped        To:       mysql@stripped
>                       om>                      cc:
>                                                Subject:  Is MySQL Relational? (was:
> Foreigner keys in MySQL?)
>                       10/28/2003 11:38
>                       AM
>

> 10/28/03 8:11:16 AM, "Martijn Tonies" <m.tonies@stripped> wrote:
>

> >> If you are trying to determine whether MySQL is a relational database,
> >> the answer is yes.
> >
> >Ehm... the answer is "no".
> >
> >It's getting better, that's for sure.
>
> MySQL may or may not conform to some standard or another, and it may
> or may not perform the tasks that you, personally, want it to, but
> in fact it *is* a relational database, as opposed to a flat file or
> an object database.
>
> I recommended the questioner evaluate her needs against MySQL's
> available feature set, because if you are used to Oracle (or some
> other robust, commercial relational database) you may be surprised
> at some of the differences or absences in MySQL.
>
> But the questioner made it seem as though she was really just
> trying to get a feel for the basics scope of MySQL, and in that
> context, yes, MySQL is designed to a implement a relational
> database model as opposed to some other fundamental type of
> database.
>
> So, what's your laundry list of things MySQL should do?
>
> --bluejack

Foreigner keys in MySQL?Juliana Gubert Ehrensperger28 Oct
  • RE: Foreigner keys in MySQL?Michael McTernan28 Oct
  • Re: Foreigner keys in MySQL?Peter Brawley28 Oct
  • Re: Foreigner keys in MySQL?bluejack28 Oct
    • Re: Foreigner keys in MySQL?Martijn Tonies28 Oct
      • Is MySQL Relational? (was: Foreigner keys in MySQL?)bluejack28 Oct
        • Re: Is MySQL Relational? (was: Foreigner keys in MySQL?)Martijn Tonies28 Oct
      • Re: Foreigner keys in MySQL?shrek-m@gmx.de28 Oct
RE: Foreigner keys in MySQL?John Griffin28 Oct
Re: Is MySQL Relational? (was: Foreigner keys in MySQL?)jeffrey_n_Dyke28 Oct
  • Re: Is MySQL Relational? (was: Foreigner keys in MySQL?)Saqib Ali28 Oct
RE: Is MySQL Relational? (was: Foreigner keys in MySQL?)Saqib Ali28 Oct
Re: Is MySQL Relational? (was: Foreigner keys in MySQL?)bluejack28 Oct
Re: Is MySQL Relational? (was: Foreigner keys in MySQL?)Heikki Tuuri28 Oct
  • RE: Is MySQL Relational? (was: Foreigner keys in MySQL?)Mike Brando28 Oct
    • Re: Is MySQL Relational? (was: Foreigner keys in MySQL?)Martijn Tonies29 Oct
Re: Is MySQL Relational? (was: Foreigner keys in MySQL?)Peter Brawley28 Oct
Re: Is MySQL Relational? (was: Foreigner keys in MySQL?)Martijn Tonies29 Oct