List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:bluejack Date:October 28 2003 2:51pm
Subject:Re: Foreigner keys in MySQL?
View as plain text
10/28/03 6:50:26 AM, Juliana Gubert Ehrensperger <juliana@stripped> wrote:

>    Nevertheless, I received the information that MySQL don't support
>relacional functions between tables of the same database. I'm not sure
>about this, and I'd like to confirm this information. Does MySQL allow
>relacionl functions between tables recognizing "foreign keys"?
>    Excuse me for asking a so simple question,

If you are trying to determine whether MySQL is a relational database,
the answer is yes.

If you are trying to determine whether MySQL supports foreign keys, the
answer is yes:  Use table type InnoDB to get enforcement of foreign key
constraints in MySQL.

If you are trying to determine whether MySQL has a c api equivalent
to Oracle's OCI (sometimes called relational functions), the answer
is yes. See the manual (http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/index.html).

If you need particular relational functions found in some other
database's interface, you may want to check the relevant parts of
MySQL's documentation. MySQL is not the same as Oracle -- it is
its own full-featured, powerful relational database system.

-bluejack

Thread
Foreigner keys in MySQL?Juliana Gubert Ehrensperger28 Oct
  • RE: Foreigner keys in MySQL?Michael McTernan28 Oct
  • Re: Foreigner keys in MySQL?Peter Brawley28 Oct
  • Re: Foreigner keys in MySQL?bluejack28 Oct
    • Re: Foreigner keys in MySQL?Martijn Tonies28 Oct
      • Is MySQL Relational? (was: Foreigner keys in MySQL?)bluejack28 Oct
        • Re: Is MySQL Relational? (was: Foreigner keys in MySQL?)Martijn Tonies28 Oct
      • Re: Foreigner keys in MySQL?shrek-m@gmx.de28 Oct
RE: Foreigner keys in MySQL?John Griffin28 Oct
Re: Is MySQL Relational? (was: Foreigner keys in MySQL?)jeffrey_n_Dyke28 Oct
  • Re: Is MySQL Relational? (was: Foreigner keys in MySQL?)Saqib Ali28 Oct
RE: Is MySQL Relational? (was: Foreigner keys in MySQL?)Saqib Ali28 Oct
Re: Is MySQL Relational? (was: Foreigner keys in MySQL?)bluejack28 Oct
Re: Is MySQL Relational? (was: Foreigner keys in MySQL?)Heikki Tuuri28 Oct
  • RE: Is MySQL Relational? (was: Foreigner keys in MySQL?)Mike Brando28 Oct
    • Re: Is MySQL Relational? (was: Foreigner keys in MySQL?)Martijn Tonies29 Oct
Re: Is MySQL Relational? (was: Foreigner keys in MySQL?)Peter Brawley28 Oct
Re: Is MySQL Relational? (was: Foreigner keys in MySQL?)Martijn Tonies29 Oct