List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Chris Nolan Date:October 27 2003 12:45pm
Subject:Re: MySQL/InnoDB-4.0.16 is released + sneak peek of 4.1.1
View as plain text
Hi,

As I have said before, I'm not Heikki, but I'm such a massive geek I'm
likely to have one or two useful bits of info for you. :-)

1. You'd have a rough time getting indexes and tables to be seperated
out, unless you were willing to set up your various symlinks/hardlinks
by hand. Even then, you may be inviting problems. Additionally, no date
has been announced for FULLTEXT indexing on InnoDB tables, and
Heikki considers it a low priority by the looks of things (not having a
go at the god of multiversioned DBs, just making a possibly incorrect
observation).

2. I personally use ReiserFS for all of my stuff, most of which is based
upon InnoDB. One thing you have to remember is that InnoDB
treats the space inside the tablespace as a Berkeley Fast
Filesystem-style space, using the underlaying filesystem minimally. To quote
the manuals, raw partition usage can speed up IO on a number of UNIXes
(and Windows too seemingly). Regarding backup, you'd
need to use mysqldump or InnoDB Hot Backup to backup a raw-partition
setup. This isn't a bad thing though - I use mysqldump and
can get a consistant snapshot of a 12 GB DB without problems while the
thing is running.

Hope this helps!

Regards,

Chris

Jon Hancock wrote:

>Heikki,
>I have two questions in regards to the tablespace changes:
>
>1 - You mention being able to store indexes in a seperate tablespace.  How
>far off is this for MySQL to implement?  I would like to see FULLTEXT
>indexes stored in seperate tablspace (seperate RAID channel) so the two
>features (InnoDB FULLTEXT) would both need to be available.
>2 - Is there any value to using Journaled file systems with the InnoDB
>tablespaces?  A new system I'm putting together will have seperate drives
>for only InnoDB data.  Is a Journaled file system extra overhead?  If so, is
>Raw significantly more efficient?  How does this choice effect backup
>soultion?
>
>thanks, Jon

Thread
MySQL/InnoDB-4.0.16 is released + sneak peek of 4.1.1Heikki Tuuri22 Oct
  • Re: MySQL/InnoDB-4.0.16 is released + sneak peek of 4.1.1Chris Nolan22 Oct
  • 2 Query with same criteria giving different number of rowsHector Del Curto22 Oct
    • Re: 2 Query with same criteria giving different number of rowsChris Tucker22 Oct
    • Re: 2 Query with same criteria giving different number of rowsIllyes Laszlo23 Oct
  • Re: MySQL/InnoDB-4.0.16 is released + sneak peek of 4.1.1Eduardo D Piovesam23 Oct
  • Re: MySQL/InnoDB-4.0.16 is released + sneak peek of 4.1.1Eduardo D Piovesam23 Oct
Re: MySQL/InnoDB-4.0.16 is released + sneak peek of 4.1.1Heikki Tuuri24 Oct
Re: MySQL/InnoDB-4.0.16 is released + sneak peek of 4.1.1Heikki Tuuri24 Oct
  • Re: MySQL/InnoDB-4.0.16 is released + sneak peek of 4.1.1Martijn Tonies24 Oct
    • Re: MySQL/InnoDB-4.0.16 is released + sneak peek of 4.1.1Chris Nolan24 Oct
  • Re: MySQL/InnoDB-4.0.16 is released + sneak peek of 4.1.1Eduardo D Piovesam24 Oct
    • MySQL/InnoDB-4.0.16 +Optimizer behaviourSergey S. Kostyliov29 Oct
  • Re: MySQL/InnoDB-4.0.16 is released + sneak peek of 4.1.1Heikki Tuuri24 Oct
  • Re: MySQL/InnoDB-4.0.16 is released + sneak peek of 4.1.1Eduardo D Piovesam24 Oct
  • Re: MySQL/InnoDB-4.0.16 is released + sneak peek of 4.1.1Martijn Tonies24 Oct
  • Re: MySQL/InnoDB-4.0.16 is released + sneak peek of 4.1.1Heikki Tuuri27 Oct
Re: MySQL/InnoDB-4.0.16 is released + sneak peek of 4.1.1Heikki Tuuri26 Oct
Re: MySQL/InnoDB-4.0.16 is released + sneak peek of 4.1.1Martijn Tonies26 Oct
Re: MySQL/InnoDB-4.0.16 is released + sneak peek of 4.1.1Jon Hancock27 Oct
  • Re: MySQL/InnoDB-4.0.16 is released + sneak peek of 4.1.1Chris Nolan27 Oct
    • InnoDB on Raw partitions in OSX (was Re: MySQL/InnoDB-4.0.16 is released + sneak peek of 4.1.1)Gabriel Ricard27 Oct
  • Partial replicate InnoDB -> MyISAMJon Hancock28 Oct
    • Re: Partial replicate InnoDB -> MyISAMChris Nolan28 Oct
  • Re: Partial replicate InnoDB -> MyISAMJon Hancock28 Oct
Re: InnoDB on Raw partitions in OSX (was Re: MySQL/InnoDB-4.0.16 is released + sneak peek of 4.1.1)Heikki Tuuri27 Oct