List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Chris Nolan Date:October 23 2003 5:01pm
Subject:Re: Innodb vs myisam
View as plain text
The answer is actually quite simple!

There are a few reasons:

1. Features.

Each table type has something over the other. While InnoDB has transactions,
foreign keys, hot backup capabilities, consistant read and better write
concurrency (for many situations), MyISAM has FULLTEXT indexes, the
option of having secondary AUTO_INCREMENT columns, OpenGIS
data storage (in 4.1 and above) as well as slighly simplified offline backups.
Additionally, MyISAM has lower disk space requirements for any given amount
of data.

2. Price

When looking at commercial licensing, it costs more to buy a version
that includes InnoDB.

Hope this helps!

Regards,

Chris

On Fri, 24 Oct 2003 01:50 am, Travis Reeder wrote:
> I'm sure this has been asked before, but after seeing some benchmarks,
> it looks like using innodb is a no brainer.  Just want to know why you
> wouldn't use innodb?
>
> Travis

Thread
Innodb vs myisamTravis Reeder23 Oct
  • Re: Innodb vs myisamChris Nolan23 Oct
    • Re: Innodb vs myisamDan Nelson23 Oct
  • Re: Innodb vs myisamGabriel Ricard23 Oct
    • Re: Innodb vs myisammos23 Oct