List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Ed Carp Date:March 13 1999 10:38am
Subject:Re: Some questions/concerns about MySQL
View as plain text
>The only thing triggers can do for you is an 'on delete cascade' that's
all.

You know, thinking about it, in a lot of applications, you *don't want* to
cascade deletes - updates, maybe, but not deletes.  Deletes should always be
a conscious decision, not a side effect of an automatic process.

I know that will get me in trouble with some purists, but I think it's far
safer to have to do something like "update table set linked_id=new_value
where linked_id=old_value" than it would be to accidentally delete customer
records or such.
--
Ed Carp, N7EKG - erc@stripped - 9403672744@stripped for URGENT
messages only!

Thread
Some questions/concerns about MySQLEric Maryniak12 Mar
  • Re: Some questions/concerns about MySQLSasha Pachev12 Mar
  • Re: Some questions/concerns about MySQLChristian Mack13 Mar
  • Re: Some questions/concerns about MySQLThimble Smith13 Mar
Re: Some questions/concerns about MySQLEd Carp13 Mar
Re: MySQL 3.23.39 releasedSteven Roussey15 Jun
  • Re: MySQL 3.23.39 releasedMichael Widenius15 Jun
    • RE: MySQL 3.23.39 releasedSteven Roussey19 Jun
      • RE: MySQL 3.23.39 releasedMichael Widenius19 Jun
  • mysqld 3.23.36 -- new connections get stuck in "Open Tables"Jamie Mason18 Jun