List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Michael Winston Date:October 16 2003 10:20pm
Subject:Re: natural sorting
View as plain text
At 2:06 PM -0500 10/16/2003, Dan Nelson wrote:
>In the last episode (Oct 16), Michael Winston said:
>>  Is there any way to do "natural sorting" in MySQL?  That is:
>>  Chapter 1
>>  Chapter 2
>>  Chapter 10
>>
>>  instead of
>>
>>  Chapter 1
>>  Chapter 10
>>  Chapter 2
>>
>>  If not, are there any plans for this feature in future releases?
>>  Would be pretty helpful...
>
>You can easily enough write a UDF that zero-pads all numbers in a
>string to N digits, which would let you do "SELECT * FROM mytable ORDER
>BY dwim_sort(textfield,5)"

"Easily enough"?  ha ha.  I've looked at the example UDF and realized
that I am in over my head on that one.  Still, I wasn't even aware of
UDFs, so thanks.

Anyone done this already or know of a good repository of UDFs?
Google didn't provide anything useful...

Thanks,
Michael
Thread
natural sortingMichael Winston16 Oct
  • Re: natural sortingDan Nelson16 Oct
    • Re: natural sortingMichael Winston17 Oct
      • Re: natural sortingRoger Baklund17 Oct
        • Help in queryingdelz17 Oct
          • RE: Help in queryingRob17 Oct
  • Re: natural sortingTobias Asplund16 Oct