List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Jeremy Zawodny Date:September 30 2003 6:50pm
Subject:Re: What are the effects of key_buffer on a dedicated slave [also]
View as plain text
On Tue, Sep 30, 2003 at 11:36:30AM -0700, Dathan Vance Pattishall wrote:

> Yes, I use a custom mytop (sent my patches in to you). In fact I'm
> making a signed java applet to simulate mytop, just to be fancy ;) as
> well as not having to ssh into a central box that can reach all my
> servers.

Really?  Which patch?  Have I integrated it yet? :-)

> I figured that but does it really matter on a dedicated slave handling
> some reads, since there can never be parallel writes? I may be missing
> the concept.

Yes, you're missing something, I think.  The key_buffer is part of what
makes indexes fast for MyISAM tables.  By keeping recently used index
blocks in RAM, it doesn't need to hit the disk.

This helps no matter how many readers/writers you have.  It's a cache.

Jeremy
<Jeremy@stripped>  |  http://jeremy.zawodny.com/

MySQL 4.0.15-Yahoo-SMP: up 16 days, processed 586,742,904 queries (404/sec. avg)
Thread
What are the effects of key_buffer on a dedicated slaveDathan Vance Pattishall30 Sep
  • Re: What are the effects of key_buffer on a dedicated slaveJeremy Zawodny30 Sep
    • RE: What are the effects of key_buffer on a dedicated slaveDathan Vance Pattishall30 Sep
    • RE: What are the effects of key_buffer on a dedicated slave [also]Dathan Vance Pattishall30 Sep
      • Re: What are the effects of key_buffer on a dedicated slave [also]Jeremy Zawodny30 Sep
        • RE: What are the effects of key_buffer on a dedicated slave [also]Dathan Vance Pattishall30 Sep
          • Re: What are the effects of key_buffer on a dedicated slave [also]Jeremy Zawodny30 Sep
            • RE: What are the effects of key_buffer on a dedicated slave [also]Dathan Vance Pattishall30 Sep
              • Re: What are the effects of key_buffer on a dedicated slave [also]Jeremy Zawodny30 Sep
                • Re: What are the effects of key_buffer on a dedicated slave [also]William R. Mussatto30 Sep
                  • Re: What are the effects of key_buffer on a dedicated slave [also]Jeremy Zawodny1 Oct
  • Re: What are the effects of key_buffer on a dedicated slaveDan Nelson30 Sep
    • RE: What are the effects of key_buffer on a dedicated slaveDathan Vance Pattishall30 Sep