List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Thimble Smith Date:October 4 1999 9:28am
Subject:Re: !! HELP BADLY NEEDED
View as plain text
At 10:17, 19991004, Ed Williams wrote:
>I have a MySQL Table full of web referers and want to display
>the last twenty unique visitors unique in the sense of host name
>the only problem is the referer is stored in format like so
>http://www.host.com/webpage.html .

Hi, Ed.  My suggestion:

Fix your table structure.  Why not make three fields:

    scheme (e.g. 'http', 'ftp', etc.)
    host   (e.g., 'www.host.com')
    path   (e.g., 'webpage.html', 'path/to/webpage.html')

Now your problem is trivially solved, and you can use all of the
power of a relational database (i.e., INDEXES) to get fast queries.

Tim
Thread
!! HELP BADLY NEEDEDEd Williams4 Oct
  • Re: !! HELP BADLY NEEDEDThimble Smith4 Oct
  • Re: !! HELP BADLY NEEDEDMartin Ramsch5 Oct
  • Re: !! HELP BADLY NEEDEDMartin Ramsch5 Oct