List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Jeremy Zawodny Date:September 18 2003 10:03pm
Subject:Re: Fragmentation problem with MYD/MYI files
View as plain text
On Thu, Sep 18, 2003 at 01:57:17PM +0300, Mikko Noromaa wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is it possible to configure MySQL so that it would allocate a large amount
> of extra space for the MYD/MYI files, and then use this space as necessary?

I don't know of any.

> This way the files would need to be grown only very rarely. It would be
> ideal if I could configure the increment in which MySQL increases the file
> sizes (for example, 100 MB, or a percentage of current file size).

Right.

> If this is not possible, I'd suggest to add such a feature to MySQL. I
> believe it would give a tremendous performance-boost for application where
> the databases keep growing.

If seek times become an issue, yes, reducing fragmentation may help.

Jeremy
<Jeremy@stripped>  |  http://jeremy.zawodny.com/

MySQL 4.0.15-Yahoo-SMP: up 4 days, processed 188,921,457 queries (445/sec. avg)
Thread
Fragmentation problem with MYD/MYI filesMikko Noromaa18 Sep
  • Re: Fragmentation problem with MYD/MYI filesJeremy Zawodny19 Sep
    • Re: Fragmentation problem with MYD/MYI filesDan Nelson19 Sep