List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Robert Hazeltine Date:October 3 1999 1:22pm
Subject:Re: MySQL in memory
View as plain text
On Sun, 3 Oct 1999 sinisa@stripped wrote:

> randyboy writes:
>  > Hi,
>  >
>  >   I'm looking into the prospects of running a MySQL db out a RAM disk.  I
>  > guess the simplest way of doing that would be to copy the db files into
>  > memory and starting MySQL using the files in memory.  However, I run into
>  > problems with having to update both the db files in memory and the db
>  > files on disk while the system is running.  I suppose that also requires
>  > me to run a second instance of MySQL in order to manipulate the db files
>  > on disk.  How have other implemented a db in RAMdisk?  Is there (hopefully
>  > there is) a better way than what I've just described?
>  >
>  > tia
>  > r.
>
> HI!
>
> It would be easier for you if you would you one instance of MySQL
> server, do not use any RAM disk, then on start-up create HEAP tables
> (available with 3.23.xx) and copy disk tables to HEAP tables. Then,
> all you have to do is run insert/update/delete to both copies of
> tables, while SELECT's would be run from the HEAP tables.
>
> Do take into account the limitations of HEAP tables.

I understand that, under solaris, setting the sticky bit -t for Oracle
tables forces them to be loaded into memory.  I have done this with mySQL
myself without incurring any problems but does anyone know if this has any
benefit?

How does this compare with using the HEAP tables?

Rob...
Robert Hazeltine                      Member of UWSN Web Management Group
Project Officer (Web Development)     Phone:  +61 (2) 4736 0218
Central Administration                Email:  r.hazeltine@stripped
University of Western Sydney, Nepean  http://www.nepean.uws.edu.au/

Thread
MySQL in memoryrandyboy2 Oct
  • Re: MySQL in memoryAlistair MacDonald2 Oct
    • Re: MySQL in memoryJani Tolonen3 Oct
  • Re: MySQL in memorysinisa3 Oct
    • Re: MySQL in memoryRobert Hazeltine3 Oct
    • Re: MySQL in memoryRobbin Zhang3 Oct
      • Re: MySQL in memoryJani Tolonen3 Oct
        • Re: MySQL in memoryRobbin Zhang3 Oct
          • Re: MySQL in memoryrandyboy3 Oct
            • Re: MySQL in memoryMatthias Urlichs4 Oct
            • Re: MySQL in memorysinisa4 Oct
            • Re: MySQL in memoryScott Hess4 Oct
      • Re: MySQL in memorysinisa4 Oct