List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Paul DuBois Date:September 11 2003 1:32am
Subject:Re: record_rnd_buffer_size
View as plain text
At 3:33 PM -0700 9/10/03, Dathan Vance Pattishall wrote:
>states that
>record_rnd_buffer_size When reading rows in sorted order after a sort,
>the rows are read through this buffer to avoid a disk seeks. Can improve
>ORDER BY by a lot if set to a high value. As this is a thread-specific
>variable, one should not set this big globally, but just change this
>when running some specific big queries.
>But in 4.0.15 I get this error when trying to use it
>/usr/local/mysql/bin/mysqld: ERROR: unknown variable
>Maybe the documentation should be updated to remove

The variable is actually named read_rnd_buffer_size.  It was
called record_rnd_buffer up through 4.0.2, then renamed to
read_rnd_buffer_size.  Looks like the manual got updated in
a couple of places with an incorrect "hybrid" name.  It should
be correct now.  Thanks for pointing this out.

Paul DuBois, Senior Technical Writer
Madison, Wisconsin, USA

Are you MySQL certified?

record_rnd_buffer_sizeDathan Vance Pattishall11 Sep
  • Re: record_rnd_buffer_sizePaul DuBois11 Sep