List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Paul DuBois Date:September 11 2003 1:32am
Subject:Re: record_rnd_buffer_size
View as plain text
At 3:33 PM -0700 9/10/03, Dathan Vance Pattishall wrote:
>http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/SHOW_VARIABLES.html
>
>states that
>record_rnd_buffer_size When reading rows in sorted order after a sort,
>the rows are read through this buffer to avoid a disk seeks. Can improve
>ORDER BY by a lot if set to a high value. As this is a thread-specific
>variable, one should not set this big globally, but just change this
>when running some specific big queries.
>
>But in 4.0.15 I get this error when trying to use it
>
>/usr/local/mysql/bin/mysqld: ERROR: unknown variable
>'record_rnd_buffer_size=2M'
>
>Maybe the documentation should be updated to remove
>record_rnd_buffer_size.

The variable is actually named read_rnd_buffer_size.  It was
called record_rnd_buffer up through 4.0.2, then renamed to
read_rnd_buffer_size.  Looks like the manual got updated in
a couple of places with an incorrect "hybrid" name.  It should
be correct now.  Thanks for pointing this out.

--
Paul DuBois, Senior Technical Writer
Madison, Wisconsin, USA

Are you MySQL certified?  http://www.mysql.com/certification/

Thread
record_rnd_buffer_sizeDathan Vance Pattishall11 Sep
  • Re: record_rnd_buffer_sizePaul DuBois11 Sep